A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i smoked cigarettes as a kid, but glad i quit when i did. i still dream of smoking once in a while. they get a hard grip on your brain.

if you lived closer you could come here and help me bust up rotting pallets. :) i still have a few days worth to go. takes out a lot of frustrations and energy. can't wait until i'm done.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are coming along. You can beat those cancer sticks, you sure don't need them. Did you lose power or have any damage from the storms yesterday and last night? Over 15,000 homes out of power just in our electric co-op area, more to the east of us. We have power, neighbors behind us don't--all the way to Mineola--9 miles away.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are coming along. You can beat those cancer sticks, you sure don't need them. Did you lose power or have any damage from the storms yesterday and last night? Over 15,000 homes out of power just in our electric co-op area, more to the east of us. We have power, neighbors behind us don't--all the way to Mineola--9 miles away.

no we didn't have any issues besides the rain. it did look pretty nasty tho.

lots of stuff is up in the garden and looking good. I'll try to get some pics up after dinner!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20200413_184632.jpg
20200413_184703.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and I just learned we have a frost com8ng tomorrow night. yeehaw. that will make 3 years of peach trees without a single peach

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why you're supposed to store as much as you can when you do have a good harvest. We only get to harvest apples and plums about once every 3 years.

If you've never read the story of Agafia Lykova, the Russian woman whose family lived in extreme isolation in Siberia; One year their crops failed except for 1 rye plant that managed to sprout and produce 18 grains, which had to be saved in order to rebuild their crop.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...uman-contact-unaware-of-world-war-ii-7354256/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My peach trees are loaded too...…. :hit

Any way that you could raise a pig or two? Meat packing plants are shutting down or cutting production because of Covid 19 in the work force. Workers are getting sick, can't come to work, conditions are unsafe for them, it's a vicious circle. I know you have chickens and rabbits, that will certainly help in putting meat on the table, but a pig gives you a lot of meat in a short time. Or what about raising some Cornish Cross? This is where I got my CCX chicks from, it's near to your neck of the woods.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
try to put sheets over them?

i'd be sad too. i love peach salsa, peach pie and peach jam...

it is too early to plant here still. frosts forecast for the next four nights.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's why you're supposed to store as much as you can when you do have a good harvest. We only get to harvest apples and plums about once every 3 years.

If you've never read the story of Agafia Lykova, the Russian woman whose family lived in extreme isolation in Siberia; One year their crops failed except for 1 rye plant that managed to sprout and produce 18 grains, which had to be saved in order to rebuild their crop.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...uman-contact-unaware-of-world-war-ii-7354256/

we store as much as we can and it gets eaten. 6 of us and a little hobby garden. maybe we need to take things up a notch?