A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well I found some more holes to plant things. did a bunch of squash and melon in the orchard, along with a teepee of yard long green beans I got from baymule.

planted a bunch of squash and replanted all the green beans in the garden that the frost killed. the corn seems ok. we will see. all the rest of the warm weather stuff was covered up.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got to get it in high gear and start digging like a squirrel. Got lots to plant!

at this point thats all I'm doing. just keep planting. .knowing ill never be able to properly tend it all. heck the orchard has been overgrown with grass and weeds for a year or more...but the soil is good there! we will see. last year I got alot of watermelons from the orchard and I never weeded them at all.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you part the weeds and pick something good to eat, then you are a winner! Neat, clean rows are nice, but life gets in the way, so you do what you can. Plant it, throw some water on it and come back later and pick stuff. You are still light years ahead of 99% of most people.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are going to do some Chaos Gardens out in the fields this year. Just a bunch of left-over seeds that are mixed together and then sprinkled over the bare dirt. We have a lot of leftover seed to do this with, so anything we get before the wildlife will be a bonus. Plus it will act as a food plot for the deer this fall - hopefully.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
day 19. still not smoking. still on the diet. still running almost daily. I feel better than ever physically, but im just plain miserable. I want to smoke, I want to eat good food, and I dont want to take pills. I've always been a little hot headed but it seems to be more so lately. that may be a little bit of an understatement. you would think with all this new dieting and exercise that I would be losing alot of wieght...but ive lost none. makes me believe my old lifestyle wasn't too bad then...except for the smoking.

in other news none of the peaches fell off the trees. maybe they were not killed by the frost!?!? fingures crossed. the first batch of chicks has been moved outside and the new batch should be hatching this weekend!

I still have a bunch of seeds that I haven't planted. I may till another spot and plant something. idk...

I was planning on buying a grass sweeper for collecting grass clippings if I got a stimulus check, but that hasn't happened yet so I guess no toys for me. shame, all those grass clippings would have made wonderful mulch!! oh well, I still have a rake.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
day 19. still not smoking. still on the diet. still running almost daily. I feel better than ever physically, but im just plain miserable. I want to smoke, I want to eat good food, and I dont want to take pills. I've always been a little hot headed but it seems to be more so lately. that may be a little bit of an understatement. you would think with all this new dieting and exercise that I would be losing alot of wieght...but ive lost none. makes me believe my old lifestyle wasn't too bad then...except for the smoking.
I was planning on buying a grass sweeper for collecting grass clippings if I got a stimulus check, but that hasn't happened yet so I guess no toys for me. shame, all those grass clippings would have made wonderful mulch!! oh well, I still have a rake.

or you are replacing fat with muscle... in order to really know you need a better measurement than just weight. give it some time...

we've always had a mulching mower here. the grass (what little we have left now) just gets recycled in place. my brother who has a place where he has been trying to grow decent grass complains at the moss and poor growth he has there. i told him the other day that if he keeps cutting his grass low that it won't get much better and the soil is compacted because of many years of removing clippings. he's going to be selling soon so i told him the best thing he can do is wait a few months before he sells and just put sod over what he has (first aerate it and put down some compost would be what i would do myself). i wouldn't bother trying to kill the moss as it only grows where the soil is poor, compacted and nothing else will grow taller. if you seed into moss grass will grow and eventually take over, but you do have to let it actually grow... he just wants a lawn like a golf course... you don't get that easily. i think he'll be moving some place he doesn't have to do any lawn work at all.

oops, i forgot to mention the grass we do have which we don't fertilize ever is doing ok and in places it has other things growing in it, but we don't care, diversity is good for me. the soil underneath it is prime - eventually i'm going to turn it all into gardens and food/flower production. much easier on me to not have that much source of weeds that get into the surrounding gardens.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have 3 acres. 2 of which get mowed. that's ALOT of taking to get the clippings when we need them. but they make great mulch, chicken bedding, etc

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You need a couple of lambs to graze that grass all summer, then send ‘em to freezer camp.

Keep working at it, giving up smoking is tough. Keep the running, modify the diet. Have one day a week to splurge on. Don’t get stupid about it, just take a day once a week to indulge a bit.