A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CR, So sorry your hatch was a bust. Hope you find what you're looking for. Please post about the availability of chicks in your search. I'm hearing that shipments of chicks to the feed stores are selling out just as fast as they come in.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can dig out a big round in the area you normally don't cut -- ok, cut it once to get stuff down some. Then in the round --hill, add chicken poop, throw some vining squash (butternut?), pumpkins, melons...let this spread out! They will help slow the growth of grass with a long vine & lot of big leaves. You will get amazing food. Squash & pumpkins can hold for several months in dark & cool/dry area. Family & hens will eat them. Throw some BOSS seed out there, too. Sunflower seeds will happen, after those lovely flowers finish.

I haven't gotten a stimulus fund either, yet. Supposedly the SS people won't until first half of May -- hope its this May. LOL But, my DD got hers last week in her account. Of course, she filed taxes early and had that refund in first wk of Feb. She's fast! LOL

GREAT with the no smoking!! Are you working now? Many are not. your wife being a hairdresser, I'd think she's at home.

We filed our taxes 6 weeks ago. Still waiting for tax refund. As for stimulus checks, I've not worked since Sept. Started drawing SS (early) in November. Hubby started drawing same month. So... it'll be what and if and when it is. But, I sure would like to see them give me back my tax refund.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CR, So sorry your hatch was a bust. Hope you find what you're looking for. Please post about the availability of chicks in your search. I'm hearing that shipments of chicks to the feed stores are selling out just as fast as they come in.

tsc had NOTHING. the feed store cant get layers but theybsay there are plenty of meat birds. min order is 50

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can dig out a big round in the area you normally don't cut -- ok, cut it once to get stuff down some. Then in the round --hill, add chicken poop, throw some vining squash (butternut?), pumpkins, melons...let this spread out! They will help slow the growth of grass with a long vine & lot of big leaves. You will get amazing food. Squash & pumpkins can hold for several months in dark & cool/dry area. Family & hens will eat them. Throw some BOSS seed out there, too. Sunflower seeds will happen, after those lovely flowers finish.

I haven't gotten a stimulus fund either, yet. Supposedly the SS people won't until first half of May -- hope its this May. LOL But, my DD got hers last week in her account. Of course, she filed taxes early and had that refund in first wk of Feb. She's fast! LOL

GREAT with the no smoking!! Are you working now? Many are not. your wife being a hairdresser, I'd think she's at home.

I got govt stimulation last week. It was direct deposited into the checking account, so it was electric stimulation. We haven't spent a dime of it. Honestly my wife and really didn't need it. Since I haven't missed a day of work since New years which was a paid holiday anyways. I guess everyone will be on govt welfare now, wither you needed it our not.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so i just went and checked all the eggs. out of the whole lot (50ish) only 4 were fertile and failed at some point. I've never had a problem with this rooster before. he only has 10-11 hens and he's only 2-3 years old.

idk. guess it's time for a new one

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Look at his feet.....high testosterone and red feet, between the claws and on bottoms. You can see it. Looks like an internal bleed, sorta. May have been too early for him to have been fully loaded.,,,or the hens to be.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Look at his feet.....high testosterone and red feet, between the claws and on bottoms. You can see it. Looks like an internal bleed, sorta. May have been too early for him to have been fully loaded.,,,or the hens to be.
I didn't know that. You mean you can check a rooster's fertility by looking at his feet? That sounds so simple.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

the last hatch had a bunch of duds too. I'm just gonna replace him