A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's common to have skips in rows of corn bro. Corn is on a timer more than any other veggie I know. Hoe up a the rows when they are about a foot tall so the air roots have something to grab or they will fall over during wind storm. Ofcourse you can't do this if it's too wet

It's key corn gets fertilizer (high nitrogen) when it's about knee high and also when the tassels first appear but are still green. Fertilize at the lower leaf drip line both times. Then spray the cobbs for with BT & Palmolive during the evening to kill off any boring worms that turn out to be white moths.

Don't ask me how I know this living in the middle of corn country.

My tomato seeds popped up today, still waiting on peppers.

thanks man.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have 3 litters on the ground and one more due this weekend. then another due in a couple weeks. these rabbits have been the most terrible herd I've had to date. last year we didn't put any rabbit in the freezer. I'm gonna keep breeding them until the buck goes sterile or I lose the does. what ever I have left in June is going in the freezer and I'll start fresh next fall.

20200422_184825.jpg
20200422_184828.jpg
20200422_184847.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
here's our grow out pen and the 11 chicks. we got a couple cocks in there so I shouldn't have an issue with a replacement when the time comes. still have 3 lonely chicks in my big old brooder. :/

feed store said I should get my Cornish x in by end of May. that's gonna put alot of meat up for sure
20200422_185310.jpg
20200422_185318.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we have 3 litters on the ground and one more due this weekend. then another due in a couple weeks. these rabbits have been the most terrible herd I've had to date. last year we didn't put any rabbit in the freezer. I'm gonna keep breeding them until the buck goes sterile or I lose the does. what ever I have left in June is going in the freezer and I'll start fresh next fall.

View attachment 13795View attachment 13796View attachment 13797

Your rabbits are always so good looking. I enjoy looking at pictures of them.

Many years ago I bought my wife a rabbit fur coat, she looks killer in it. I selected a coat that had fur of wild rabbits (white and tan) but they had other colors also. Like white, black and tan. Just like your rabbits.

Just a thought... There may be a bit of a market for rabbit pelts. If you haven't already, It certainly wouldn't hurt to look around for a local pelt buyer.

I believe you can roll up the skins and freeze them without even fleshing or tanning them. I had a coon hunting friend in NC and that's what he did. Once a year he would call the buyer and he would come and grade the pelts and pay him for them. Not something he would get rich doing but money is money.

Here's the Texas laws

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree -- A LOT to can. Plus all you'll want to eat in season. Good job! Hope I can get there soon. We're a little behind your weather....still cool ground here.

Off 5 days starting this weekend. Hope to get plants/seeds out, broody hens setting eggs vice golf balls. LOL. Winter eggs & roos for freezer, coming up.