A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks yall. I'm really looking at this cage. idk if it's worth the money tho. sure is nice

Screenshot_20200427-183443.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yeah I was pretty bummed out. they didn't go to waste though and they are easily replaced.

last year when he was getting into chickens I gave him a bunch of birds before he got the fence around his coop tight enough to keep his dog out.

it's a learning experience and as long as nothing goes to waste I don't see the harm

I've seen some cages I really like. I'm going to try and make some

View attachment 13833
There is a couple up the road who raises quail for restaurants. I've been in the building he has them in. He has cages like those, where the eggs roll out into trays. It is was several years now but I recall him saying those little eggs go for .50 a price and a dressed ready to cook quail was some ungodly high expensive dollar amount each. I just checked Amazon you can get 36 bone in quail for $189.00 ($1.32 an ounce)

I also recall the building he had them is was brightly lit and cool. I commented on how nice an cool it was in there but hot outside. I recall him saying something about the quail needed to be cool. You might want to check and see if you will need to keep them in a temperature controled environment or not.

I used to see a refrigerator straight truck there sometimes. I know he and his wife had a pretty good income selling dressed quail to restaurants. But it's been months since I see the truck there. I suspect it's due to Chinese COVID-19 virus and restaurants ordered to be closed.

He and his wife were real friendly. I even taught him how to make kraut. He developed cancer a couple of years ago, but I do see him out sometimes when I drive by. I honk and wave but he doesn't even wave back. I have no idea, what's up... but I'm not one to poke my nose in where it doesn't belong either.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He and his wife were real friendly. I even taught him how to make kraut. He developed cancer a couple of years ago, but I do see him out sometimes when I drive by. I honk and wave but he doesn't even wave back. I have no idea, what's up... but I'm not one to poke my nose in where it doesn't belong either.
Oh, I would be stopping when I saw him out in the yard and poking my nose and I don't care if it doesn't belong there. I would politely inquire about how they are doing and if he blew me off, then I wouldn't go back.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, I would be stopping when I saw him out in the yard and poking my nose and I don't care if it doesn't belong there. I would politely inquire about how they are doing and if he blew me off, then I wouldn't go back.

Well they claimed they were getting $25.00 a dozen for chicken eggs. They claimed they were selling to fancy restaurants. Must have been pretty fancy for a little over $2.00 a egg.

And maybe we just aren't "high class" enough for them?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They take the cold well too... but my cold might not be as cold as your cold. The few times that we had a hard freeze I might stick a wad of hay in their cage or a small cardboard box just to block the wind from coming up under the cage... never lost one to the cold.

Latest posts