A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rolling blackouts are confirmed in central Texas, by a friend.

Here's our forecast from weather guessers for today.
Screenshot_20210215-095058.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It’s 7F here, low tonight of ONE degree. ONE! 6-8” of snow. Have 17 baby lambs, got to start hauling boiling water to the moms so they can make milk. On the last of their round bale of hay, I hauled 2 square bales from the horse barn yesterday evening to the portable building for the sheep so they don’t run out. Going to layer up and start chores. This sucks. We still have power. That doesn’t suck. I was exhausted last night from caring for the animals, today will be much harder. I’ll check in here tonight.
take care of yourself bay. don't over do it and keep your skin covered

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
low dipped down to 2°f around 8 o clock today. I ran ALOT of heat calls....alot of nuisance calls too. roads are compacted snow now. will be solid ice in the morning. temps tonight in the negatives. -2 or -5 has been said a few times. wind chills around 20 below tomorrow morning.

I've made up my mind this is never happening again. I'm gonna get a propane tank delivered and install wall heaters for just incase.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Im thinking about a propane heating source here, too, since my house is all electric. If shtf I can use that to stay warm and replace my stove with a propane one to cook on.
Think your plan is a good one. Prepping isnt just for food, but for situations like this, too.
Always pays to be prepared.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
low dipped down to 2°f around 8 o clock today. I ran ALOT of heat calls....alot of nuisance calls too. roads are compacted snow now. will be solid ice in the morning. temps tonight in the negatives. -2 or -5 has been said a few times. wind chills around 20 below tomorrow morning.

I've made up my mind this is never happening again. I'm gonna get a propane tank delivered and install wall heaters for just incase.

You got 4WD and agressive treaded tires, I hope?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
9°f right now and the chicken coup is 24°f inside. still cold but a few degrees warmer and no wind can make all the difference

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
2wd f150 with bald tires. I was planning on getting them changed before this weather hit because of my upcoming road trip. 😁😂

I know this sounds weird but I love my yokohama geolander tires they are made in the USA. Last set was firestone, they were crap.