A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Im not openong the bator until they are done. Odds are they will have perished by then. Those same 5 are inactive

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Fantastic hatch and great job on that incubator! :thumbsup

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry i haven't been on much. Its been busy busy.

Well another fella gave me around 20 heavy body meat rabbits and cages/hutches.....for free. So i have trying to get all that sorted out.

I have alot of culling to do and some vet type stuff to get this bunch sorted into a decent meat rabbit herd. Ive pretty much made up my mind that im going to have two rabbitries. One for summer and another for winter. The spot that would be good for summer is under two huge bowdarc trees and stays shaded until 7pm. But in the cold rainy season its a muddy slop hole because its in a drainage plain. I have a 5 hole cage i can put down there and just move the breed stock when the weather changes.

In other news my great Pyrenees disappeared last night. He likely found the coyote pack alone. I figured it was a matter of time if i didnt get him some back up soon. Shame. I liked that dog.

I started building another hutch today to hang one of the cages i got under. I had most of the stuff here so total cost is $36. Im putting it near my original cage. I also have another small portable one that will likely make the move between spots as the seasons change.

Alot of these rabbits have ear mites. So when im done getting rid of what i dont want for breeding stock ill likely spend a couple weeks treating them for that. The ear drops for cats alwayz worked well for me in the past. I need to trim all of their claws, wiegh them all and look them over well.

I sent 4 to freezer camp today and I have a fella coming tomorrow for a couple young bucks. Then i still have around e or 4 more that i dont believe are going to make the cut.

Anyway heres a pic of what i got done today

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Things are looking and sounding good! Except for you poor dog :( Sorry to hear about him going missing. I hope he turned up since :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope he comes back too - but if he took on a pack of coyotes single-handedly it might not be good...:(

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dont have high hopes for the dog. Its been a busy evening and morning. We got the hutch situation sttaight tho. These rabbits were in rroungh shape. Over grown nails, over grown teeth and some had ear mites. We cukled the ones with bad teeth, ttimmed all the nails and started treating them all for ear mites.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey! You are back in the rabbit business! It’s looking good on the rabbits and the chicks! I sure am sorry about your dog. Have you called the County pound and various animal shelters? Our county posts dogs on Facebook, maybe yours does too and you can look for him there.