A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ok it seems we may have a cougar here. several neighbors talk abouy it, one has shots on a trail cam that appear to be a big cat and the wife says she thinks she saw it this morning by the road.

idk... seems kinda wierd. they dont usually hang out in North Texas
Yeah they do too hang out in north Texas. They are just very stealthy and good at not being seen. A male may roam up to 25 square miles for his home range, a female may claim 5 to 20 square miles. So it may take awhile before he or she makes the circle and comes back around. Just because you don't see or hear them, don't be fooled. Cougars are out there.

Oh, nothing much messes with feral hogs. The adults are quick to attack if their young are hunted. A slash or two with those tusks and the cougar would be unable to hunt, weaken and likely die.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
theres been other sightings. its for sure here. in other news ive been out sick for 3 days and got stir crazy so i decided to work on fire skills. quartz and steel fire:

20211110_111439.jpg
20211110_120038.jpg
20211110_120335.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im getting better. the wife wasnt so i made her go to the dr. she has an upper repository thing. a couple shots and a few prescriptions and shes on the mend.

MEAT birds got out some time in the night. they wondered about 10 feet from the chicken tractor. no losses were had bit we had fun herding them back in this morning. they are getting big and our schedule is full for the next few weeks. gonna put 5 in the freezer today and try to get a jump on things. maybe next weekend i can squeeze in 5 more before my brother in laws wedding.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
5 birds in the freezer. we just skinned them and packed the breasts, legs and thighs. the left over carcass got chopped up and put in bags along with the organs and feet for dog food.

altogether 5 birds makes meat for 6 meals for the family of 6 and 3 meals for the 3 dogs . the feathers and guts get buried in the garden.
20211114_145242.jpg