A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok so we have a real problem.....our neighbors.

they have 2 houses, a barn thats been converted to 2 apartments, and a camper. there are a bunch of people over there and so far we have always gotten along. now they are having septic issues and their sewage is running down hill into the rear corner of my property, into my orchard.

i told the old man yesterday but i have a feeling they arent going to do anything about it. truth is one septic tank couldnt handle all that anyway. right now im trying really hard not to freak out but im pissed and its coming to a head. im thinking about pulling their water meter so they cant get any water to make more sewage

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler Your young adults are soooo grown from pics posted a few yrs back!! Little tykes in the first yrs of your gardening....my how time flies! Wonderful to see. :love you've done a great job!

ETA. Just saw your post re neighbors. Don't screw with the meter and get yourself in hot water.....report them to zoning. Betcha the are NOT allowed the numbers or additions/conversions they have made. Zoning & health deptment will cite them and require changes. Yeah, he'll be mad...so what! Is this family or rentals?

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks guys. i told him yesterday and its still the weekend. ill give him til wed and go talk to him again. if that doesnt work ill call the county.

i think they are all family. the old man is housing kids and grandkids. they all work for his catering business from what i can tell. hes pretty much taking care of 15 or 20 people. im sure its tight for him and he just beat cancer.

....but dang it makes me mad.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
luckily its at the very rear of my property about 100 yards away from the house.

i hope they get it taken care of soon. at the least they should have their tank pumped, but perhaps they don't even have a septic tank at all. i've seen some things out in the country. old camps converted to cabins that are then upgraded to houses except they never fix the septic system until...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I was shopping for this house there was a 55 gallon drum buried in the ground with holes drilled around the bottom of it trying to pass as a septic system. :ep Needless to say a requirement of the sale was the installlation of a real system complete with a certificate from the health dept. saying it was done correctly.