A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got to poking around the forum and it seems i skipped the question list. Guess ill do that now.

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? TEXAS HOT
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Married. 4 kids ages range from 11 to 3
3. How would you define self sufficiency?
Just exactly as its read. Most of us fall short
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Farm fish hunt learn to blacksmith etc
5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Built additions to houses and sheds
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
Yes. Certified 4G unlimited SMAW. Very littletig experience. Extensive mig and dual shield experience. Good with oxy/act welding and cutting. Brazing etc
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? Our forefathers
8 Cloth or paper?
Both, but never plastic
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
Good question. Do we ever master everything? Everyday is a school day
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
Family is always first so nothing that conflicts
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
Already do. Thats responsible parenting. Things happen but kids gotta eat and be taken care of
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself,
away from the outside world?
Alaska or Montana on a trap line
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I can drive anything with wheels! (You didnt say how well)
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
Not so much
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
See pics
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
Yes, but im not a machinest
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
Its alot of work. First timer, we will see how it goes
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Bait and lures
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
3 acres just outside of town
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
Certified and licenced hvac tech, certified welder, former electrician, novice plumber, hobbiest builder/ carpenter, terrible sheetrock/ trim installer, and amateur gynecologist
21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Im a tradesman so that stuff is easy, gardening, livestock and such is a new challenge
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
All of it. Knowledge is gold
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
Yes but i suck at finish type stuff. Sheetrock covers alot
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
Mainly trees because they are always there. I keep a log and update it when i can
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Alaska or Montana
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
No but i want one!
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
Iron man
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?
Somewhat. Its contagious
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

I dont like to cook but i like real food
30. What was your MOS?
Na. But i have the highest respect for those who serve and protect us
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
Hunt. We havent bought beef since hunting season opened last year!
32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
#1 problem solving. What i dont have is enough patience lol
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
How aboit non fiction? 1870s usa
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
Nope
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?
"What makes the sky blue? How does a positrac rear end under a Plymouth work? Nobody knows"
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
Nope. Yep!
37. In what do you trust?
The right answer would be god. But im lacking
38. Do you make things yourself to save money?
All the time.
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

Yes!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a great looking place. I love to garden, have done so all my life. Feel free to ask questions. Gardening is a great way to feed your family. My Daddy was organic before organic was cool. Do you plan of freezing, canning or dehydrating the extra produce?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You have a great looking place. I love to garden, have done so all my life. Feel free to ask questions. Gardening is a great way to feed your family. My Daddy was organic before organic was cool. Do you plan of freezing, canning or dehydrating the extra produce?

We plan on freezing and canning. Have not canned anything yet. This whole thing is a learning experience.

Heres a question for ya. I planted 3 rows of corn, 1 row of okra, 3 rows of tomatoes, a row of bell peppers and a few mounds with cantaloupe and a couple mounds with squash and lined the fence with pole beans.. Its been 2 weeks and so far the only things that have sprouted are about half the pole beans, 2 rows of corn, okra, squash and cantaloupe. I cant figure out why the first row of corn didnt sprout and i wonder if the bell pepper seeds and tomato seeds were bad.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peppers and tomatoes planted straight into the garden are a risk. That's why you see so many for sale at Wally World and every store out there. That's not to say you can't grow them from seed, cuz you can! It's easier to start them in small pots and transplant them when they're stronger. But I have direct sowed in the garden before and had decent luck, so don't give up. They are tiny when they come up and I've known people to "weed" them because they just didn't recognize them! That really stinks! Not sure why one row of corn didn't come up when the others did. Did you plant them at the same time?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah i planted them all the same day. I tilled in alot of manure and bedding and some blood meal . Maybe that spot got more than the others? Will excess nitrogen kill a seed?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too much nitrogen can sure be damaging to some plants - but corn is a real heavy feeder and uses a lot of nitrogen so I dunno.... Do you have any fire ants? I swear I've had ants carry seeds away lol. Wish I had a better answer for you. Maybe replant and hope for the best. :fl

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I start my tomatoes mid February for planting mid May. I start them every year, but this year is the FIRST TIME [in a decade] I've ended up with decent plants to put in the garden! Woot!!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think ill give it another week and if i dont see any tomatoes ill just try to buy some plants from a nursery. 3 rows was way too dang many anyhow! I just knew it was late and i needed seeds. Lol

Idk about the corn. No telling. I hope two rows will pollinate. Not sure. I figure anything i get this year is a complete miracle because i dont have a clue. Just wanted to try it out and see how it goes.

Next year i hope to be on time and ha e everything sprouted in pots in the house when it comes time to plant. I also plan on doing heavy mulching with wood chips so that would be easier i think. Id also like to build a couple raised beds with trellises before next spring as well for stuff like cucumbers and beans.