A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is fun! Thanks for taking us along with you. I hope you get a good hatch.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not a whole lot of new stuff going on around here.

My father had an accident Sunday and is paralyzed below the chest. He's still in icu but now he wants me to take his chickens. I'm cool with that but he has a mean ass silky/game rooster that he wants me to take too. I got no use for a silky or a game bird. Damn sure don't want it breeding my hens. I may tell him it ran away. Lol
Rotten luck for sure. We bury my mother at 69 a month ago and now he's in this predicament.

Seems there is more to be done than ever here and now I'm probably going to have to do a bunch of work to his place too. He will need a ramp at minimum. One task at a time I reckon

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss, and that you are now dealing with this. Your poor dad is right!

Yeah... I say the roo goes too. Bad mix there, and he's mean too? No thanks!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh no. Your family has sure been hit hard. Prayers for your Dad, you and your family. He is going to really need you.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20171026_175639.jpg

Got an olive egger! Don't know which one it is. So far we habe only gotten 2. It's gotta be from one of the chicks that were sired by the Maran rooster.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20171026_183103.jpg

Got dad's chickens today. 4 hens and a silky rooster. They are all small. Like bantams. They are extremely quick and hard to catch. And we noticed that some of them had spurs too.

The little silky roo and my adolescent buff Orpington roo squared off. When the silky started throwing legs the buff ran off. I guess he thought his size would have been enough? Lol

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, your mom and then your dad! I'm sorry to hear your family is going through so much! Seems like the silky rooster is just like rubbing salt in an already open sore!
I wish we lived closer. At the very least, we'd bring you over a hot cooked meal or help with the ramp (or to accidentally open the gate so a certain lil' rooster could go for a stroll...)
Sooo cool that you got an olive egger though. We have one too, when they're laying ( which no one is right now...) Good luck with the new incubator.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's accident :hugs My dad was left paralysed from his chest down after a botched back surgery following an accident. It was a very difficult time for all involved, including him. If you have any questions, need advice, or just want to talk, feel free to shoot me a private message.

I love that olive egg! As for the cockerel… a silkie x game :confused: I'm picturing a pint size feather duster with a bad attitude… Not sure I'd want to keep that around myself..