A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not a carpenter either, my mitered joints are awful. I call myself a chainsaw carpenter. My measurements may not be square, but when I am done, it works.

I bought an Incuview

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incuview-egg-incubator.html

Ok... A lady that's not afraid of a chainsaw and can yield it and build something with it too - that's just too awesome... Remind your husband he's a lucky guy. My wife won't even approach me when I'm sawing, let alone pick one up. What's your choice? stihl or husqvarna?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Husky, orange is the new black. LOL I defer to my husband and assist him. Men need to be the hero ya' know...... I keep 2 extra chains, a new 18" bar and chain, 2 cases of fuel, bar oil and a cute lil' gadget for greasing the tip end of the bar.

I set two sets of eggs and got a decent hatch. I didn't pay attention to it like I should have, so due to my lackadaisical approach, I was delighted with what I got. It was half the price of similar units, so that got my attention. And this thread on BYC convinced me that this was the one to buy. There were posts on the fan screen holes being too large and a few chicks getting their toes cut off. The company redesigned the screen and sent new screens to all who asked for one. I was impressed. There were several redesigns on the screen, one reason was that it was so fine, that it blocked airflow. Anyway, I was so impressed with the level of customer service that I ordered one.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/incuview-incubator.852619/#post-12743018

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20171018_195806.jpg
20171018_195815.jpg
20171018_195819.jpg

Well it's up and going. The thermostat is awesome. The heat element is a little big at 500 watts. It took 6 minutes for it to heat up to 100 from 79. It satisfied and over shot to 101. I watched it cycle a bit and it seems to be spending 2/3s of its time between 100 and 101. 1/3 of the time is heating back up 100 from 99. So it's holding a range from 99-101. I'm sure it will steady out more after it's ran for a day or so. Once everything is warm that should help alot.

All in all I'm pretty happy. Still gotta get a hydrometer tho....and put in a water pan.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well after it ran for a while the overshoot got worse. After it satisfies at 100 it continues to rise to 102. That's not gonna work for me. So I rewired the heating element for 300 watts instead of 500. It takes a little longer to warm up but so far it looks better than before. We'll see