A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well I added another faster reacting thermometer. I found temps in the trays were reaching 105-106. The thermostat just wasn't fast enough where I had it so I moved the probe to the center of the outlet air. Quite a bit less temp spike now. The second thermometer only peaks 102°f airtemps for a second after the heater shuts off. Then it's back to 100-101 while the air is circulating. I'm gonna run it over night tonight and see how it does. I'm betting after everything is up to temp it will be much more stable because the heater should cycle less.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well I set the stat at 99 last night before bed. This morning the air temp crossing the trays is fluctuating between 98.5 and 100.8

I'm not sure if that is good or not but it has to be better than th LG that was all over the map. Gonna let it air out a few more days, seal around the door and add some vent holes before setting eggs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sounds good! We've had hatches go well with up to 104 and once we lost power in 12 hours off, 12 hours on, 12 hours off again - that batch we had noticeably lower hatch rate though. I think they're generally more tolerant of fluctuations of lower temperatures than higher.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wanna set eggs right now. So ready! I have 40 on the counter ready to go but I want to be sure before I start.

I went to work and brought home my $300 fluke dual input ktpye thermometer. I have one probe for dry bulb and one for wet bulb.
I don't think this vs are as stable as I was thinking. The k type reacts faster than any of the others and I'm get swings from 87 to 106 as the heater cycles. My bowl of water that's been in there for 2 days measured 86.

So ok eff it. The air is gonna swing. Nothing I can do. But I need a steady 99 in the eggs. That's where the rubber meets the road.

So I wrapped my k type in a baggy with water in it and I'm gonna let it set a while and see where it settles out. Then I'll make changes to the temp settings to maintain 99 in the baggy.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well seems loading the bator lessened the swing quite a bit. It's still not completely up to temp yet tho.

Right now the baggy is maintaining 97°f and we have 41% humidity. I used the set point from 98 to 99. the swing has calmed down so much and the heat is cycling less.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20171023_132622.jpg

my little water baggy is holding 99.5 solid as a rock. Air temp swing has dropped alot. It will drop to 97.8 and rise to 100.9. It's amazing what some biomass will do! I'm veery optimistic about the hatch.

It's loaded with 57 eggs right now. I could have fit alot more, maybe 80, but that's all I had on the counter. Next time I'm going to make sure and have enough to fill it completely and I will probably add a couple water bottles before I warm it up.