A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, ok! My bad...

My jiggler has a couple different holes in it for each the different weights. Maybe Amazon or Ebay would have a different jiggler for ya?

All I can find for the pesto is 15lb. But there's a 3 piece one that's supposed to fit the pesto and it's adjustable from 5, 10, and 15

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not to mention, those 3 hens gave me about 3 pints of meat. There isn't much on old hens is there?

I'm hopeful I will get a bunch of fat roosters from this hatch! I wish I had like 10, 9 lb buff Orpington roosters. Lol

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All I can find for the pesto is 15lb. But there's a 3 piece one that's supposed to fit the pesto and it's adjustable from 5, 10, and 15

Turns out I was doing it wrong. Your supposed to set the pressure on the pesto with how much heat you give it if you want 10 lbs.

But I did a little research and the temp difference between 10 lbs and 15 lbs is 10 degrees. I may just process stuff at 15 instead of 10. They say it won't hurt food safety at all. Only down side is things may get a little less firm.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, up to 10 hatched out of 50. Already better than I did with the lg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
most of them have hatched. I may pull em out later today but let the bator run another day or so. I seem to remember a few didn't look as developed as others but showed movement when I candled them last

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow! That sounds like a great hatch :) Let the incubator run until everyone hatched, or late tomorrow at least. I've had a chick hatch on day 25 under a broody once. The rest hatched day 21-22 and the eggs were set on the same day. Before you discard any non-hatchers, candle and tap them. Hold the egg snug against your ear and tap it with your fingernail. If there is a live chick inside, it will likely respond by wiggling or chirping.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I usually leave 'em for another couple days....some areas of the 'bator might be cooler than others which can alter the hatch a day or so.

Congrats on the ones that hatched!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you are pressure canning bone-in chicken at 600 ft altitude, it's 65 minutes at 10 lb pressure. Others report this cooking time is enough that non-weight-bearing bones crumble and leave bone fragments in the meat. You could cook it less for sure!

I debone the chicken raw. Using breast and leg meat only, I got 8 pints from 3 scrawny heritage breed chickens. I pack 2 breasts per jar even though there's room for 3.

If you're cooking them so long, might as well can it and end up with a shelf-stable product at the end!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do a hot pack with chicken. I simmer the chicken and debone it. I pack in jars, add half teaspoon of NON idiozed salt, cover with boiling water, seal and process per Ball book instructions. I set aside the broth and boil the bones in fresh water to make more broth. I combine both broths and can the broth.