A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It may not be as bad, hopefully! I've had respiratory issues in my flocks over the years, with the odd bird. It didn't spread, but then it depends on what exactly the issue is… Hopefully yours got nipped in the bud now :fl

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree with Sumi -- may be just the one and may not even be more than her "own" issue -- allergy, lung problems, inhaled crap, etc.

Wish you the best.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
came home and found a couple more sneezing. My daughter tells me that her favorite is sneezing and has a running nose.

I may have to cull the flock and start over. With all the cbicks that makes about 65 birds

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think it came from the chickens I got from my dad. That's what I get for putting them with my chickens

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh I hope you don't have to do that. I would go look over at backyard chickens if I was you, maybe ask some people there. It would be too bad to cull them if there's something you can treat them with, and there are some pretty serious chicken folks over there. I don't hang out there, don't care for the atmosphere, shall we say... But if I have a poultry question, that's where I go. Hope you figure out an answer!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You may want to find a vet? If you sacrifice a chicken and have them diagnose you may get an answer as to whether it's treatable or not. No sense in wasting medication needlessly - or culling an entire flock needlessly. My husband (who is a veterinarian) says first thing he would look at for respiratory issues in a chicken flock is environmental, like high ammonia. He also says my advice above is reasonable. :gig

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ugh I hope you don't have to do that. I would go look over at backyard chickens if I was you, maybe ask some people there. It would be too bad to cull them if there's something you can treat them with, and there are some pretty serious chicken folks over there. I don't hang out there, don't care for the atmosphere, shall we say... But if I have a poultry question, that's where I go. Hope you figure out an answer!

They aren't much help
I posted a thread a while back about my rooster. I got one replies that said he had frost bite. It's been in the 70s!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You may want to find a vet? If you sacrifice a chicken and have them diagnose you may get an answer as to whether it's treatable or not. No sense in wasting medication needlessly - or culling an entire flock needlessly. My husband (who is a veterinarian) says first thing he would look at for respiratory issues in a chicken flock is environmental, like high ammonia. He also says my advice above is reasonable. :gig

I called a couple. They don't do chickens and don't know anyone in town that does. It's kinda frustrating.

I really don't want to give them antibiotics and then still be infectious because of a virus. I also really don't want to spend $200 on vaccinations for all new chicks to cover all the different respiratory diseases.

Idk. The coop is clean. There's no ammonia smell. I might just keep culling the sick ones and see what happens. It will sort itself out one way or another then.