A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20171112_103022.jpg

Got 30 of them now. I went ahead and pulled them out of the bator. We have a few more left. We will see how it goes.

I was worried about looking humidity when I opened the bator so I sprayed everything down with water from an old spray bottle. It actually jumped up to 80% so they may be alright.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do a hot pack with chicken. I simmer the chicken and debone it. I pack in jars, add half teaspoon of NON idiozed salt, cover with boiling water, seal and process per Ball book instructions. I set aside the broth and boil the bones in fresh water to make more broth. I combine both broths and can the broth.

I think I may try this next time. Maybe just put the birds in a crock pot all day and then debone for canning and make stock. The pressure cooker just blew it all to pieces.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay - I've never canned chicken that wasn't already soup or something....but can't ya just raw pack 'em and can 'em that way and be done with all those extra steps??? :hu

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
View attachment 5305

Got 30 of them now. I went ahead and pulled them out of the bator. We have a few more left. We will see how it goes.

I was worried about looking humidity when I opened the bator so I sprayed everything down with water from an old spray bottle. It actually jumped up to 80% so they may be alright.
Wow, look at them :love 65% humidity minimum is good, even a little lower. As long as they don't dry out and get stuck in the egg after pipping.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have certainly had 'shrink-wrapped' babies from too low humidity. But, you don't want the humidity toooo high either like @sumi mentioned. I've heard they can drown in the shell if it's too much. But, that's just something I 'heard'...don't have any personal experience with it. I think I read somewhere that people sometimes hatch in cartons - big end up to prevent any moisture collecting where their face is. :hu

Congrats on hatching 30 - that's awesome and proof that you did something right, lol!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have certainly had 'shrink-wrapped' babies from too low humidity. But, you don't want the humidity toooo high either like @sumi mentioned. I've heard they can drown in the shell if it's too much. But, that's just something I 'heard'...don't have any personal experience with it. I think I read somewhere that people sometimes hatch in cartons - big end up to prevent any moisture collecting where their face is. :hu

Congrats on hatching 30 - that's awesome and proof that you did something right, lol!

Thanks. The count is up to 32 now. I guess I'll quit freaking about having enough humidity then. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Okay - I've never canned chicken that wasn't already soup or something....but can't ya just raw pack 'em and can 'em that way and be done with all those extra steps??? :hu

Yes, chicken can be raw packed. Added liquid is not required because it packs into jars tightly, but I add a little bit to top off the jar to the 1" head space. Maybe a couple tablespoons fit in a pint jar. I don't add salt. Wipe rims with a cloth made damp with vinegar (not water, because of the fat).

Ball says to chill the meat 6 - 12 hours. Butchering, deboning, packing jars and canning is a bit too much for one day, so I pack the jars and put them in the fridge overnight. I put them in the canner - everything cold - and it just takes longer to heat up to venting a plume of steam. Raw pack versus hot pack doesn't change processing time or pressure.

sources are Ball Complete (2012) and NCFHP website (2017)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks. The count is up to 32 now. I guess I'll quit freaking about having enough humidity then. :)
65% or a bit higher is good. I've had a chick drown in the shell from too high humidity once. That poor thing's at exactly the worst place in the homemade incubator though.

Latest posts