A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks! I was really thinking I wanted as much as I could get at hatch.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm going to wait a week or so and load it again. Gotta get some meat in the freezer. We are down to one bag of rabbit and 10 lbs of hamburger. My wife actually had to buy chicken this week. That sux! Hopefully by this time next year I'll have it plumb full

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I precook the chicken because meat shrinks when it cooks. So I pack the pre-shrunk meat in the jars and get more in there. A pint jar of chicken is perfect for a quick meal.

ROOSTER SALAD

Cut the meat into bite size pieces.

Chop 2 stalks of celery.

1/2 cup chopped pecans or your favorite nuts.

1/2 pound seedless grapes, cut in half.

A glop or two of mayonnaise, just enough to hold it all together.

Chill and serve.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gotta get some meat in the freezer. We are down to one bag of rabbit and 10 lbs of hamburger. My wife actually had to buy chicken this week. That sux! Hopefully by this time next year I'll have it plumb full

You will fill it up--and every jar you can get your hands on! LOL You did awesome with the incubator. Good work! What a lovely batch of chicks! Keep loading that up and you will have to buy another freezer!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That was a very good hatch! Did you keep the incubator running to keep the slow coaches a chance? I found most of my hatches spread out over 2-3 days.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I kept it running u til last night. Called it quits. I think they drowned.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today was not a good day on the homestead. I found one of my hens was wheezing and having a hard time breathing. It was a respiratory infection no doubt.

I culled her, cleaned the coop (all 6 wheelbarrow of deep litter) and sanitized the waters and feeders. I didn't really have anything to give them tonight so I added a pack of emergenC vitamins to the 5 gallon waterer. Going to ask the feed store about some antibiotic powder tomorrow so I can do the whole flock.

I really don't know much about this stuff but Google says it's highly contagious and my flock is likely already infected.