A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well my boss called me. He's going to gift me a doe he shot this weekend. That will be 4 deer in the freezer!

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180113_115320.jpg

The chicks are growing well. They are about two months old now. I'm hoping they get ready by next month but it may be a little longer

Between the 20 chicks, the 17 bunnies we have right now and the 4 deer we might get the freezer half full

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok baymule when do I need to start planting what?
I seen onions at the feed store. Does that mean it's time to sew onions?

What's first? I have beets, turnips, peas, onions, cabbage, etc.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can plant onion sets now, but risk getting frozen in February, so better in mid February. For the beets, turnips, peas and cabbage, the first week of March. You can plant potatoes in mid February too. Buy a few sweet potatoes at the store now and drop in a jar of water. They should not be completely submerged, sticking half out of the water. They will sprout and make vines. When it is warm, cut the vines in 8" lengths and plant them.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They are calling for 5°f tonight!

That's not a typo. That's the low. Its supposed to be up to 33 tomorrow and then go back to somewhat normal temps by Thursday. But tonight is going to be tough.

I moved all the chicks from the grow out pen to the big coop and closed up the wire fence door with a tarp. Hopefully 60 birds in a closed in coop can keep warm.

I moved all of the bunnies to the brooder in the shed. Surely the 16 of them can keep warm together in there on wood chips bedding.
The big does and buck are going to have to tough it out.

I brought the viscous man eating bull dog inside. She's laying quietly under the coffee table and is afraid to move because she thinks she may have to go back out if noticed.

The great Pyrenees came in for about 5 mins but started raising cane to get back out. He doesn't like it in the house. I don't know what I'll do with him. He's stubborn and seems to like cold weather. I guess as long as I hear him barking outside at every shadow and sound I know he's ok.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I work for a plumbing/hvac company. Its gonna be a rough day for sure

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we are discussing a family stay at home day for tomorrow right now.