A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180107_174045.jpg
20180107_160257.jpg
20180107_170737.jpg

Boy got a doe today. We seen a flock of 70 turkeys, a heard of 8 bucks and 3 does and then 7 more doe. It was a great day for hunting

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well done on the raised beds and the doe :thumbsup

I just said on another thread, wood ash is great for bringing acidity down in soil and compost heaps. I added way too much chicken manure to the pile one year and neutralised it with ash very quickly. Handy way to dispose of the wood stove and fire place ashes :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice looking raised beds. You should get great root crops in there with all the loose, organic in them. I hope to expand mine this year. Really need to fill more, not so much add sq footage. Yep, planning beets, carrots, onions, etc. in them. YUM!

Plan to put early peas on the cattle panel I used for limas last year. They will be done quickly and free up panel for something else....maybe couple cukes and ??

I can hardly wait to get some seeds working! :D So over snow!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! Look at the turkeys!!! Nice doe, stock the freezer!

We got 3/4" of rain yesterday.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! Look at the turkeys!!! Nice doe, stock the freezer!

We got 3/4" of rain yesterday.

I'm working on it. We have a long way to go before it's even half full. We got some rabbits that will go in a few weeks, but I have 2 does that refuse to breed again. :( I sold off 10 of the chicks today. Just some hens. Keeping the rest (23) for the freezer. Hopefully they will be ready by spring.

Other than that we don't have much else planned for freezer filler. We eat too much meat anyway. Need to eat more vegetables and eggs. Haha

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since we raise feeder pigs, lambs and chickens, we have plenty of meat. Then we bought half a grass fed steer......bought another freezer......full of meat and veggies. You'll get there.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well that's 2 deer this year -- nice! Plus rabbit & chicken. But with what, 3 kids?, you & DW -- a chicken is gone in one meal. Here, one person, a chicken is several meals. Makes a difference in planning and needs. Hey, you'll have more chickens in summer. Maybe another deer soon. That's a lovely doe.

Veggies are always, always a good thing! Plus, the kids look like they enjoy working with you and the gardens -- great teaching!

I have a large flock of hens & sell eggs. However, I really don't eat many, Just never been my "taste thing" -- I mean, scrambled dry with a LOT of pepper & onion. Trying to encourage myself to eat more because they are a great protein source, they are here in abundance and less grocery to buy. Still....not a fav! I would actually rather have a tomato, a stir fry or bowl of ham & beans. :drool:idunno

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually 3 deer this year. 2 does and a buck. 4 kids altogether. One was in the house working