A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope. You got it backwards. Turn it on during the day and off at night. Plants need the darkness to photosynthize (I can't spell that darn word!) anyway, they gather the light, then in darkness, they transform that into their food. Seeds sprout in darkness. So, no 24-7 light!

I have used shop lights for years with good results. Right now I have 3 flats in the garden tub with a shop light over them! I've ordered LED lights for the new set up I have. They will be here Wednesday!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for the tip. I'll switch that tonight. I guess I run the light all day and then turn it off at about 10 pm. That should give them 15 hours

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bay I switched the lighting over like you said. We have not seen much growth. I think the shed is getting too cold at night for the seedlings. I'm not gonna heat the shed. Direct sowing my be in my future.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
bay I switched the lighting over like you said. We have not seen much growth. I think the shed is getting too cold at night for the seedlings. I'm not gonna heat the shed. Direct sowing my be in my future.
Go back to leaving the light on at night, turn it off in the day. Or maybe I should just shut up. LOL If they were growing with it on the way you had it, then keep doing it that way.

I currently have 3 trays in the garden tub with a shop light over them and 4 trays on the breakfast table, in the window light. I take those outside during the sunny days. When I put them in my new contraption, I will have to heat them.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
at first I sprouted them in the house. I think moving them to the shed is what stopped growth. It's just getting too cold at night and the fluorescent lights don't put out much heat.

We will see how it goes. I'm not giving up yet

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I forgot to turn the grow light off last night. :gigI'm not a good nursery person

I don't really have room for them. I'm gonna keep the coarse as best I can and see what happens.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's all you can do. What about putting a regular 100 watt bulb in there, would that keep them warm? Maybe drape a sheet over them?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
na. I'm gonna devote my efforts toward the garden this weekend. I'm hoping to make some real progress!

I still can't shake this hand pump well idea. I think I wanna do it just to do it. But I'm not gonna mess with it til I habe the garden ready.

I might have a side job to do as well. A guy wants me to build him a rabbit cage. I don't mind and I could use the left over materials to patch mine up