A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you ferment your chicken feed you may be able to cut that in half. As far as rabbits I would encourage them to eat hay along with pellets. Except for a bag of chick starter to get them going I don't buy much feed. I turn out to free range in the morning and lock them up at night. Of course I live in the Boonies on three acres. Don't forget chickens will eat anything that doesn't eat them first, literally!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What do you guys think about using wheat straw in gardens and compost piles?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't get straw here, but people have been using it for mulch for years. I wouldn't have any problem using it in compost either especially if it's been used for animal bedding. If I just had 'plain' straw and I wanted to compost it - I would probably try to chop it down in size for faster composting. It's not necessary, but would help make the compost a little more quickly.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Rabbit color genetics are fairly straightforward and fun to play with.

Your rabbits carry the "chinchilla" gene, which is the most complicated and interesting of rabbit color genetics. You'll see a lot of black babies. Depending on what you breed, you can end up with babies with PURPLE eyes. It's so weird!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rabbit color genetics are fairly straightforward and fun to play with.

Your rabbits carry the "chinchilla" gene, which is the most complicated and interesting of rabbit color genetics. You'll see a lot of black babies. Depending on what you breed, you can end up with babies with PURPLE eyes. It's so weird!

She wont be in the herd long. She misses alot and has small litters. Shes due in a couple weeks. When that litter is wiened she goes to freezer camp

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No pics today. I didnt get much accomplished. Just hauled about 5 wheel barrows of wood chips and spread in the garden. But some things are popping up and it is starting to take off a little. I post some pics when i get done mulching.

Right now im making some chicken feed. As luck would have it i was given 100 lbs or so of free grain and 50 lbs of that is soy beans. Im roasting them in the oven 3 lbs at a time for 30 mins on 375. When thats done ill mix it in with my other mixed grain and have high protein chicken food..... did i mention it was free? Haha

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well i didnt get anything accomplished today. Was too wore out after work. Theres plenty to be done tho. Im going to hit it hard tomorrow.

Eggs are down to 4 today from 8 hens (not counting the broody). My sex links are getting older. They will be 2 in February. Im thinking of dressing the free loaders out, along with 8 small cockerels, and 12 bunnies. But then i wont get any eggs for a month or two from my young pullets.

Latest posts