A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well guys the garden hasnt exactly taken off like i would have liked. Alot of gaps in the rows and i dont see any tomato or bell pepper plants yet. The melons and squash are doing well tho! And alot of the pole beans are up. I dont know how many beans to expect from one vine so i planted 40. I think 15 or 20 sprouted well. We should get a couple jars of green beans from that hadnt we?

I heard a rumor yesterday that a certain nursery is having a sell. One of those "buy one plant get seven free" type things. I asked the wife if she would go see if they had any tomatoes left. We will see what she brings home.

I think i the next week or so i will go ahead and get my plans for the fall garden finalized and order seeds. Those web sites have some good deals. Im thinking root crops mostly, but we will see what i come up with when i put the pen to paper and work on the layout

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to stick more seeds in the ground to fill in the gaps...it'll actually give you a staggered harvest that can give you a longer picking time. But, it is a good plan to start thinking about fall too.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Fill them gaps, and you can harvest a little longer! One year I had four fifty foot rows of green beans, and I canned beans until I was sick of them! That was about four years ago, and I'm still eating on them! :caf

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Im ok with filling gaps. Idk if planting more sweet corn would help though. Dont the corn plants all need to pollinate at the same time?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
They should be fine provided they are not much older than the second planting. Pollination for corn is better when it is panted in squares as opposed to single or double rows.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170517_200726_zps84dpwwle.jpg

The wife picked up some plants today. A few tomatoes, cucumbers and water melon. Got em in the dirt and mulched. I also noticed 3 of the 36 tomatoes i planted as seeds came up. Still working on getting it all mulvhed with the wood chips. Worked til dark today to get this stuff done. Gardening has been my biggest challenge yet.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Heavy storms rolling in. We are under tornado watch tonight. Could be worse. Oklahoma has been getting hammered. Hope all the little guys make it threw the night. Its gonna get bumpy