A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It stopped pourinv last night. River was gone by morning. Been misting all day and the ground is still soaking it up.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lost the whole crop of black eyed peas. They molded right on the vine. The beans are sprouting as well. Coupled with the fact that i can replace the entire crop for $5-10 makes me realize im done for the year. Time for a nice break.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My onions and garlic all rotted right in the ground, my snap peas got lost in the weeds and I only found 5 plants, and my beans never got planted.

My tomatoes however, are still going gangbusters. They are so heavy with fruit that they are falling over - taking the tomato cages with them. I will need to spend some time this winter bending the cages back into shape. Next year they will be set up better.
I have 40 pounds of tomatoes in the freezer for making tomato sauce, 20 pounds on the kitchen cupboard for whole canned tomatoes and seasoned tomatoes. and probably another 40+ pound out in the garden in various shades of ripeness.

We have a small field of field peas - have to figure out how to pick those. I wanted to try to grow some treats for the chickens this winter. The buckwheat did well, so I need to pick that also.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup, it is time to stop and take the winter off. You and your wife have done outstanding on putting up everything you could. Be sure to tell her how proud you are of her, she will like that.

I still have purple hull peas, they are blooming for a third run, but are so covered in those darn wild cucumbers that many of the pea vines are simply smothered. The crab grass is waist high and thick. Maybe I'll get a few more pickings off them, I'll give them to the neighbor. One freezer is packed full, been making room in the other freezer because we take that huge boar to slaughter tomorrow.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well an older lady gave me a bunch of old rusty tools the other day.
I got this plane from her . It was badly rusted and the handle was broken. All the parts were frozen together. It had been in the floor of an old barn for what looked like 20 years. I got the rust off but its still badly pitted, fixed the handle, sharpened it up and it works!
Now that i can see the name and numbers i googled them. Its a millers falls no. 7. Made between 1929 and 1944. In good shape they are going for $250. If i had known i wouldnt have touched it. Lol

20180925_164130.jpg