A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a nice big bator. FWIW, i had to disconnect my fan in the picnic cooler bator. No matter how I adjusted the air flow, and put in baffles, it continued to have warm/cool spots. So, mid way through the hatch, I unplugged the fan and boosted the temp to 102*. Had a fantastic hatch. But with multi level, you GOTTA have a fan. How many degrees do you tip those trays? Manual or electric?

manual turning. nothing fancy but it holds 80 eggs . I usually hatch way too many and end up giving them away. shed hasnt burned down so I guess it's gonna make another cycle.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Aren't ya'll gonna get that freeze they keep hollerin' about later this week? I heard something about a freeze Wed night into Thursday morning. But heck that was this morning - mighta changed by now.

for us this last week was so strange, they actually got the forecast mostly right about a week in advance. first time for everything... :) only it was 5degrees warmer on Sunday. the contrast with last year's weather was most welcome. now we are supposedly heading back to some snow and cold. this is ok with me.

i was surprised to see some people had already started tapping their trees for syrup.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it’s supposed to get down to 29 or 28 degrees. We keep our little granddaughters this weekend, so we’ll get out there and plant English peas, beets, onion sets and mustard greens. The 5 year old is interested in zucchini candy and zucchini fruit roll ups, she loves them. LOL too early for zucchini!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we are behind because of the weather. but the wife picked up some seed potatoes. usually we get reds, idk what these are. hope they are fast growers. usually I get all small ones. some of these were huge. maybe they will be skinned over and ready to plant next weekend

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20200229_140433.jpg