Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
See what you made me do? Haha!
20200713_085348.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it doesn't make it more than a year at our place before we use it

i'd not bother canning it then. why waste a lid and jar for something that will store that long in the original container? we buy bags of flour and sugar and they keep fine in the closet on the shelf until we use them.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am glad that you haven't had any problems with flour going rancid. A friend of ours bought a bunch of flour at a really good price, wrapped the bags of flour in plastic wrap and put them in the pantry. over 3/4 of it went bad before they used it.
It's never a great deal if you end up throwing it away.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been known to put flour, cornmeal and rice in the freezer. I have had issues with moths hatching in them if I leave them in the pantry for more than jut a little while. If I'm running out of freezer space I'll take 'em out and store 'em in glass jars.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am glad that you haven't had any problems with flour going rancid. A friend of ours bought a bunch of flour at a really good price, wrapped the bags of flour in plastic wrap and put them in the pantry. over 3/4 of it went bad before they used it.
It's never a great deal if you end up throwing it away.

so true! during the cooler months Mom bakes a lot. even now that she's backed off some of things things she used to do she still does a few hundred cookies at a time and also bakes bread.

when i bake i usually only make small batches because i make things that Mom won't eat and i put some in the freezer for me to take out once in a while. i'm liking how this is working out this year because i'm still managing to gradually lose the extra weight i have on and still can have some of my favorite things each month. :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'd not bother canning it then. why waste a lid and jar for something that will store that long in the original container? we buy bags of flour and sugar and they keep fine in the closet on the shelf until we use them.

we had a bag of rice get weevil once. so now everything dry gets frozen for a while to kill critters. we are running out of space in the freezer so I oven canned a bunch of stuff. but you keep your dry goods how ever you like