A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am glad that you haven't had any problems with flour going rancid. A friend of ours bought a bunch of flour at a really good price, wrapped the bags of flour in plastic wrap and put them in the pantry. over 3/4 of it went bad before they used it.
It's never a great deal if you end up throwing it away.

I got a really good deal on some flour a few years ago. it was like 20 bags for 50c each or something. those bags would fit in Mylar bags, so I put them all in Mylar bags and kept them in the deep freezer. we used the last of it this year. didn't have any issues.
this stuff was in bags that were too large to fit in Mylar bags so it all got oven canned. which is good because the freezer is getting over stuffed and I got 20 meat birds growing out right now that will go in the freezer.

the main thing I like about the oven canning is heating to kill any pests before they hatch. these 12 qts of flour will likely last us all year and I dont have to worry about anything getting to it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You ain’t walking no more, you done run off and left me in a cloud of dust! Hahaha!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
still learning. just like all the other noobs.

meat chickens have been so good in thinking of getting out of rabbits and just doing chickens. still riding the fence tho

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One thing about the chickens, they are over with and in the freezer in a couple of months and you are done. Not knocking rabbits at all, I have raised them before and I enjoyed them.

The best place i have found is

They grow off well. I kept them to 2 months old and got 6 pounders, dressed, some 7 pounders. I got side tracked and the last few were over 2 1/2 months old and they were mostly over 7 1/2 pounds with one over 8 pounds.

We have an order in for 30 that we are picking up August 12.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's been a while, but its the dog days of summer so work has been hectic.
meat chickens are doing well in the tractor. loving it! the heat is playing hell on the garden, but we have new stuff coming up.

not a whole lot going on. just doing what we can to keep up right now with work and homestead chores.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this is the time of the summer where i can catch a few minutes breather between harvests and canning and weeding.

today it is raining so i get time off for more reading/writing and frogging around *ribbet*...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeppers -- with heat you are an "essential business" in HVAC!!

My garden has been pretty well cooked by the higher than norm heat here....add the lack of rain and it's a disaster. But, got some things. Bought some things. It's ok. All working nicely. BUSY.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20200809_121951.jpg

we put a few chickens up today. next week we will put up few more.
20200809_121951.jpg