A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I understand the timing issue. I had 45 CCX to do at exactly at the same time that DH had hip replacement surgery. Add 9 old layer hens to that total. A neighbor came over and helped, add the 5 CCX he raised from the chicks I gave him, so he could learn how. DH could not help at all, he couldn't sit in a chair that long, but most of all, with a new surgical wound, he couldn't risk an infection. And we all know that CCX are NOT clean. LOL I call them dirty birdies.

With all of you sick, I know how hard this has been on you. What a relief to have them all in the freezer now.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not much going on around the place. we trimmed trees today, planted onion sets and I dug out the left over potatoes from last year. they are all soft and sprouted. so we cut them up and are letting them scab over. guess we are gonna plant them a little early this year. I'll just cover them if we get a frost I guess.
20210117_151656.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your weather is a little ahead of me to warm for Spring but, I was looking at a few of those leftovers here just a couple days ago. Sprouting. Mine have been put into a darker, cooler closet for another month! They need to slow just a little. And, these are some reds, need to pick up some whites later. Have a few sweets that I will get to sprouting...to early for those. Same dark closet. I don't grow or need the quantities you do. ;).

Getting anxious to garden! Sorted my seeds, looked at what was there and wow -- way out of control. :lol:. Remember that "famine" you were growing to get through? Got enough seeds here for half this forum to grow a garden...big ones. It's an addiction. 😁

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have one sprouted potato planted in a pot on my windowsill. It's a Magic Molly. I have more tubers of that variety on order. But... just in case the order falls through, I hope to be able to grow some tubers in the pot now, and plant them out in the spring. An experiment... Our avg. last spring frost is around May 10, but we can get a frost as late as Memorial Day.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your weather is a little ahead of me to warm for Spring but, I was looking at a few of those leftovers here just a couple days ago. Sprouting. Mine have been put into a darker, cooler closet for another month! They need to slow just a little. And, these are some reds, need to pick up some whites later. Have a few sweets that I will get to sprouting...to early for those. Same dark closet. I don't grow or need the quantities you do. ;).

Getting anxious to garden! Sorted my seeds, looked at what was there and wow -- way out of control. :lol:. Remember that "famine" you were growing to get through? Got enough seeds here for half this forum to grow a garden...big ones. It's an addiction. 😁

yeah the famine..... we have enough food to make it threw this year as well, but im going to over plant again anyway. 😁