A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have our first ever apples! the bugs or storms will likely get them, but we got em!
20220504_193652.jpg
20220504_193647.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love them! Looking good. My two trees have tiny apples this year 😊. Like you, I'm wondering if "something" will get them before me. My old plum tree bloomed in a heat wave week in Feb! Then normal weather and no fruit.:(

On flip side, the wild blackberries are looking way over production! I'll forage those.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im riding the fence in getting another dog. we still have the two Great Pyrenees but they are not the same. they arent pitbulls. i miss her but i also miss not having to worry about my kids. she followed them everywhere and not for affection, she was always watching their backs, watching the fence lines and tree lines which is great when theres multiple reports of a cougar in the area.

on the other hand thats the only dog ive had that was so watchful of kids and she was 9. that behavior didnt come about until about 4 years ago. if i got another one and raised it the same by the time 5 years passed my youngest would be a teenager so it would probably be a waste of time.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It seems so very unfair that our dogs have such short lives compared to our own. It's hard to deal. My last, a young rescued min-pin I got at 1 yr, was a treasure! When she passed after 13 yrs with me I was broken. No more since. Just none have compared. :( I still admire others, hug and pet, cuddle pups...just none have "talked" to me. She did!

You may have a wait but, may be lucky and find another. It's hard sometimes. :hugs

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and snakes. she was good with snakes. she killed alot of them. she could sniff en out in brush piles too. when ever we were moving brush the kids would point and she would check it out.

another thing the dog developed on her own. i have no clue how to train a dog to hate snakes but it does seem to be a common trait with the breed.

maybe i need to stop procrastinating and just get another one. maybe ill get lucky and it will pick things up quickly? idk