A newbie Beek and her adventures

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Sounds like fun! Wish we had one locally.... :/

Hey, anyone catch the article in MEN about top bar hives? I really, really like the looks of them and the more natural formation of comb. Anyone on here currently or ever used a top bar hive and have any opinions or suggestions?
I think someone here has experience with the both..

I thought about the topbars and it just seems that they can be overrated because they are different from the norm. I may be wrong, that's just my opinion.

I think with the topbars you're more likely to use the honey and wax from the "frames" you pull. I don't think you extract the wax from them with an extractor, rather you crush the comb and "squeeze" the honey from it, then they the crushed comb next to the topbar for the bees to rob the remaining honey and then you use the wax for whatever. Unfortunately, I think this makes the bees rebuild the hive and then refill the honey. Compared to the langstroth, where you empty the honey and then give their combs back for them to refill with honey.

I think it's one of those personal preferences and what you want to use the bees for. I know my main purpose is honey, so I'll go for the langstroth hives. :)

Although I wouldn't mind a couple topbars for excess wax and just for personal comparison/experience. ;)

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So does anyone know if there's a Backyard Bees forum?

Is this something one can do in, say, your normal run-of-the-mill-subdivision back yard?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
So does anyone know if there's a Backyard Bees forum?

Is this something one can do in, say, your normal run-of-the-mill-subdivision back yard?
Man

I've heard of many people keeping a hive or two in a subdivision setting.

Things that need to be taken into account. Nosy neighbors, some neighbors will have a hissy fit over anything and I'm sure "50 hives of killer bees" could quickly be the talk on the grape vine. :rolleyes:

Bees need a water source and will often have a steady stream of bees between the hive and the closest watersource. Make sure that this isn't you neighbors swimming pool or goldfish pond. Some people just can't appreciate a few thousand bees drinking from their backyard. :lol:

Other than that, go for it!

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
If you are fortunate enough to find a mentor who shares your beekeeping philosophy, that would be excellent. No such luck here so far.

I'll look forward to reading about your adventures, Wolf-Kim!
I am looking forward to being a beek, and i was not imagining that there would be different philosophies on the subject. Are they moral philosophies or just technical ones?

Please share. :frow

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Sounds like fun! Wish we had one locally.... :/

Hey, anyone catch the article in MEN about top bar hives? I really, really like the looks of them and the more natural formation of comb. Anyone on here currently or ever used a top bar hive and have any opinions or suggestions?
Yep--I have 4 topbars, 3 with bees right now. I got beautiful comb honey from them this summer plus plenty of wax for making lip balm, body butter and, hopefully in the future, soap. They are great, although I've never tried another type. Thesimplelife has tried at least 3 hive types and could comment better on the pros and cons of each. The MEN article, of course, already explains the pros of topbar beekeeping.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
So I have wanted bees for years - but was always pretty sure I would get in TONS of trouble for having them (in the city and all). I am quite curious about the top bar hives. That MEN article said that wild bees could be lured to the hive with lemon grass oil.

So ....

Could I built a top bar hive and stick it in my big garden spot, plant lemon grass around it (pots?) and then sort of .... accidentally .... get into the bee business? I think a top bar would be easier to camouflage, as fewer people would identify it as a bee hive. If it took several years for a wild swarm then OK - since I shouldn't have them anyway.

What do you think?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
So I have wanted bees for years - but was always pretty sure I would get in TONS of trouble for having them (in the city and all). I am quite curious about the top bar hives. That MEN article said that wild bees could be lured to the hive with lemon grass oil.

So ....

Could I built a top bar hive and stick it in my big garden spot, plant lemon grass around it (pots?) and then sort of .... accidentally .... get into the bee business? I think a top bar would be easier to camouflage, as fewer people would identify it as a bee hive. If it took several years for a wild swarm then OK - since I shouldn't have them anyway.

What do you think?
Contact your local bee group, via email or phone. You'll be surprised where they allow hives. The allow hives in city limits here. We were just talking about how people in France are keeping hives on their balconies in Paris, because pesticides are banned within the city. Haven't checked the validity of this, but it came up in two different bee groups.

-Kim

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I like the design and purpose of the top bar hives, as I am not wanting to get real commercial with the production. I want enough for our usage and for selling at my roadside stand but not in a big way.

I also like having the wax for lip balms, candles, balms and butters.

If one doesn't have an extractor, the Langstroth type has to be removed and crushed also to get the honey out. I don't have one nor do I have access to one, so this works for me.

I also like the more natural design that allows the bees to build comb in a manner they would normally do.

Also.....I like being different than most folks and I haven't seen anything like them around here. :D

My great grandfather used to use a top bar design in which a hollow piece of wood was capped on bottom and bars were laid across the top. In this manner, they could throw together a hive box whenever they heard about a swarm in the area.

The MEN article hinted about this design being better for the hygiene of the hive and bees but never elaborated. Me&the gals, what do you know about that? Better, worse, or the same as the typical box hives?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I will want to build top bar hives. I like to make candles so the extra wax is a blessing. I'd harvest a little early so they could restock before winter and when I got some customers- add more hives.