Ain't this forum hoppin'? AND....should we have a JOURNAL category?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, sort of like a category in which someone can keep a running thread of their life and journey towards SS and can ramble on and change topics, etc. without someone getting bent out of shape over the subject being changed, because there really isn't a subject, other than the ongoing saga of our lives.

Someone can access that category, scroll down to whoever's life they've taken an interest in and have a back and forth with them, without disrupting someone else's thread. I had noticed a couple of folks who seemed to know each other outside of the forum and they were carrying on a conversation about things that had not happened on here or was not mentioned in any posts. They were doing this in a regular thread that everyone was participating in....

Though it didn't bother me at all, I hated to post on there and interrupt their "catching up" time and it occured to me it would be really neat to have a separate category for this type of thing. That way we can all get to know each other without having to leave the forum page and access home pages.

Its a way of getting to know someone better and a place where they can feel they can express themselves more freely and folks can converse with them without being thought of as imposing their views on others. A place to post pics of what is going on in their lives and such that you can view later and reference in conversation.

I know the homepages are supposed to be for this but they seem so cut off from the main forum, as opposed to one of the threads that show recent activity. A little less public than normal threads, but still in the mainstream enough to note replies.

Its just a thought....not really a pressing need or anything. Just experienced one on another forum and thought it was neat. Sort of like the thing the Parson's Wife has going on over on the BYC with her A Journey Through A Different Way. This is an example of a running blog and seems a highly successful thread there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
instead of saying Blog we can say Journals.
if you create a Journal Section.....then each individual can post a thread with their journal.....like Karen's Daily Journal, Reinbeau's Life, The Simple Life's Journal, or any way they want to title it and then it is THEIR personal space. So I can come into my journal and update it whenever I want and say how my life is going etc. and it won't be out in open forum.

We have that on my weight loss forum I chat on.....all topics on weight loss but a Journal section for everyone to track their weight loss and such. Works VERY WELL.

But I don't know if it would be good for here or not...I would think great!, but would it be an administrative type nightmare????--lol--don't know that side of it at all?

just throwing out what I know about what beekissed is chatting about and kinda see this is what she is striving for.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup then anyone can read your journal at any time and chat about anything.....so if someone like mrs.puff is the homesteader type, she can journal about that type of life she lives and people can pop in and read and ask her questions on "how to" etc......but it wouldn't be thrown into threads and get us off line as much maybe.

just a thought but I have seen it work wonderful on other forums.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No offense, but the homepage is a little slow and harder to work with than just a simple running journal type thread.

I could click on that category, check up on everyone's journals that I'm currently "following" and, if its a part of the forum board, I would know, by looking at recent posts, if it had been updated or added to instantly and could participate or read up on it.

That way, if you just want to jump on and add to your own journal, you could go to the SS Journal category and access it quickly. I also think it would be a good way for everyone to track their own and other's progress into this kind of lifestyle...."see how far we've come" kind of thing. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I still think it's a great idea, PLUS 'journal' sounds EVER so much better than 'blog' :)

('Blog' always sounds to me like the name for the stuff you clean out of the P-trap under your sink, or something like that :p)

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I still think it's a great idea, PLUS 'journal' sounds EVER so much better than 'blog' :)

('Blog' always sounds to me like the name for the stuff you clean out of the P-trap under your sink, or something like that :p)

Pat
Good to see I'm not the only one who gets irked by the word blog. It's high on my list of annoying words.

(some of it's competitors are "ginormous" and "noodle" when it's used as a verb)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA
I use the noodle word!
I always tell Tony after hard, heavy work like throwing hay bales, my arms are noodling!

Latest posts