All I want for Christmas is ....

mekasmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would LOVE for someone to find me a "Back To Basics" Reader's Digest book at a yard sale.
I would also love to have some empty wine bottles and corks to make homemade wines. Used (aka trash) bottles are fine because I can boil them to sterilize.
A few five gallon buckets with lids would be great. You can use them for everything. Old fabric or old sheets would be great. Oil lamps would please me, because I love to decorate with them. Some "raised beds" to garden in would be great and inexpensive if they would just do the work of making them.
A lift installed on the van for my husband's scooter would be a great gift too. It is just so heavy for us to lift up into the thing. He can't walk far without it.
I also really want a new pitchfork with a longer handle.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
We are not big Christmas gift people. Mostly buy for the grandkids, and thats usually clothes, but will usually purchase a small something for each other just for the show of opening a gift with the grandkids. We buy what we need when we need it during the year. So all year long is Christmas. :lol:

DH has already been instructed that for Christmas again this year I need a new supply of zip ties, bungie cords (the strong black rubber ones), and a supply of staples for my staple gun. These are pretty much my standard Christmas gifts. I also hinted that I don't have a dead blow hammer and it sure would be nice if he added that in there.

So far all I have gotten out of him is: "I am almost out of sanding disk". So I know thats on his list. I will probably surprise him with a new electric sander. After all the winter project this year is restoring the boat.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
jenlyn9483 said:
A peice of fine gemstone jewelry from QVC, lapis or Turqoise or some other rare peice
Can you elaborate on how that jewelry will help you become more SS? :ep

If you come up with a good enough story I will say it can be on your SS Christmas list. :gig

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our Christmases are usually filled with chaos and clutter. This year will definitely be different. Maybe I will find some place to take my children and volunteer.

My anniversary just past. I wanted a goat and got earrings. If I want SS stuff I have to buy it for myself when the budget permits because my dh has no idea.

Usually what I ask of him is physical labor. He is the muscle behind most my projects. :D

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would like a good breeder quality Bourbon hen or two and another Midget hen. I'd LOVE to have one of those big fancy incubators but that's not in the budget this year for sure.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
2dream said:
We are not big Christmas gift people. Mostly buy for the grandkids, and thats usually clothes, but will usually purchase a small something for each other just for the show of opening a gift with the grandkids. We buy what we need when we need it during the year. So all year long is Christmas. :lol:

DH has already been instructed that for Christmas again this year I need a new supply of zip ties, bungie cords (the strong black rubber ones), and a supply of staples for my staple gun. These are pretty much my standard Christmas gifts. I also hinted that I don't have a dead blow hammer and it sure would be nice if he added that in there.

So far all I have gotten out of him is: "I am almost out of sanding disk". So I know thats on his list. I will probably surprise him with a new electric sander. After all the winter project this year is restoring the boat.
This is EXACTLY the kind of gifts that my sister and I usually exchange. One year in the past she actually bought me toilet paper... in green for Christmas!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Our Christmases are usually filled with chaos and clutter. This year will definitely be different. Maybe I will find some place to take my children and volunteer.

My anniversary just past. I wanted a goat and got earrings. If I want SS stuff I have to buy it for myself when the budget permits because my dh has no idea.

Usually what I ask of him is physical labor. He is the muscle behind most my projects. :D
That is the reason behind this thread. Perhaps if we can show them all how our other SS friends are longing for more zip ties and used bottles - they will begin to not think we are SO very weird. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I would like a good breeder quality Bourbon hen or two and another Midget hen. I'd LOVE to have one of those big fancy incubators but that's not in the budget this year for sure.
Man I wish we lived closer. I live in Missouri. I have a ready to lay Bourbon hen and a Slate hen both for sale right now. I have worked hard to get them both gentle as well.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great thread!

I have a few things I would like for Christmas, Anniversary or Birthday.

Canning jars!!!
Stick blender - Preferably 2. One for soapmaking, one for food use
Large stainless steel pots, spoons, pitchers & bowls
Gamma seal lids now that I have a source for buckets
Kombucha mushroom - Buddy that lives in AR is going to mail me one now that the weather is cooler
Kefir grains - See above :celebrate
Loose tea

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
mekasmom said:
I would LOVE for someone to find me a "Back To Basics" Reader's Digest book at a yard sale.
I would also love to have some empty wine bottles and corks to make homemade wines. Used (aka trash) bottles are fine because I can boil them to sterilize.
A few five gallon buckets with lids would be great. You can use them for everything. Old fabric or old sheets would be great. Oil lamps would please me, because I love to decorate with them. Some "raised beds" to garden in would be great and inexpensive if they would just do the work of making them.
A lift installed on the van for my husband's scooter would be a great gift too. It is just so heavy for us to lift up into the thing. He can't walk far without it.
I also really want a new pitchfork with a longer handle.
Have you checked your local grocery for 5 gal. buckets? Some give them just for the asking and others ask a nominal price.

Latest posts