AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
At least you don't have to worry about losing your power! :D

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
This is a test of the emergency homestead system :lol: At least after this winter storm you'll be able to see where and what to improve on and feel comfort from all the things that go well during the storm with the snow load, winds, how it effects the animals, etc. Just tryin to find the silver lining for you :hugs I hope all goes well for you all. :)
That it is! Im looking forward to seeing how we fare, and like you said we will find whats needs improved on :)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Those things are just freaky! We have pulled off when traveling just to watch them sometimes. Stay safe and warm during your winter training phase!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
While i was out working on the pens i got hit by a big dust devil it was like a mini tornado!!
Those dust devils can be a real pain!! And powerful! I've seen them knock chairs and tables on their sides! Be careful!!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We survived the storm, the chickens and turkeys did too :) Finally the chickens are starting to lay eggs, we are letting the turkeys and chickens sit on them to build up our flock. The mountians are so beautiful snow covered, we took lots of pictures. It is very cold here this morning 26 degrees brrrrrr. My battery bank survived 2 days of clouds and kept the fridge running, today it is sunny and its charging it all up.

Had to clear the truck of snow and frost to take the kids to the bus stop. DW is not feeling well today, hope she gets better quick. Today im starting to hang sheating on the walls since all framing is done. Suppose to be cold again tonite :(

Will post more later

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am enjoying your adventures. We got lots of Hail here in Tucson yesterday!

My front walkway
3192012FrontwalkwaySnowemail.jpg

The backyard Hail coming fast and furious.
3192012Hail005email.jpg

But, even with our heaviest snowfall, it can't compare to
the snow this year in Valdez Alaska!

Snowuptotheroof.jpg

It is bright and sunny here today, but pretty cold outside!

The news last night said it got down to 32,
but all the plants are looking just great!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
We survived the storm, the chickens and turkeys did too :) Finally the chickens are starting to lay eggs, we are letting the turkeys and chickens sit on them to build up our flock. The mountians are so beautiful snow covered, we took lots of pictures. It is very cold here this morning 26 degrees brrrrrr. My battery bank survived 2 days of clouds and kept the fridge running, today it is sunny and its charging it all up.

Had to clear the truck of snow and frost to take the kids to the bus stop. DW is not feeling well today, hope she gets better quick. Today im starting to hang sheating on the walls since all framing is done. Suppose to be cold again tonite :(

Will post more later
I don't mean to be negative, but cochins aren't exactly cut out to lay eggs or be good layers. :) Just letting you know before they hatch off dozens of chicks. :D