AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got the DW herb garden and veggie garden all tilled, today i am starting on our large turkey and chicken pens. They weather here is pleasant and warm, things are turning green. Not much new to report just working on our home and doing chores lol.

Both hen turkeys are laying eggs and sitting now and we have 12 chicken eggs so far, hopefully they will sit also.

Will post more later.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You're moving right along!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here is a recap of our off-grid life so far, we arrived feb 21, 2012, we lived in a tent with both kids for a month, we were building our small home while we lived in a tent, we purchased some chickens and turkeys and had to make a temporary pen for them. 3 weeks after arriving i got our solar power system up and was able to give us refrigeration with a deep freeze conversion i read about.

Life was really hard at first, getting the kids ready for school each morning, freezing temps, light from a lantern.

Now things have improved, we are living indoors, we have some basic furniture now, we all have a bed to sleep in, an indoor bathroom, lights, tv, dvd player and our computer. We get one english channel and its nbc lol.

A person dont realize what we take for granite until you don't have it anymore, we still cant wait to have running water instead of refilling plastic jugs everyday.

So yes i feel like we came along ways for the time we have been off grid now.

The DW got a job working for the county taking care of handicap people, she really likes it. The kids are enjoying there easter break from school.

Be thankful for what you have is what we have learned so far and not what you want.

God Bless Everyone and Happy Easter :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow you guys have really come a long way in short order! I am impressed with the progress you've made!! Glad the wife is enjoying her job and the kids their break :) I think it is amazing and you should write a book ;) I'd buy it :D

BeccaJoVon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
Ok just killed our first Mojave Rattlesnake on our porch :( will post a picture on my blog.

http://homesteading-arizona.blogspot.com/
Snakes seem to be really bad already this year in southwest Arkansas. We've klled several copperheads already. I'm flooding my yard with Muscovy ducks hoping that will at least help keep snakes out of the yard. Muscovy are South American ducks; maybe they would do well at your place, too.

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had to remove the Tom from the hens this evening he was rolling eggs out of there nests, both hens are sitting on eggs, He started really picking on them, he is exciled now to his own pen. Is that normal for a tom to do that?

Everything is going well here on the homestead, been hot last couple of days, havent seen anymore snakes yet.

We got our fingers crossed on turkeys hatching by the end of the month.

Will post more later.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he wanted some, and couldn't get it w/both of his ladies sitting on eggs.