Amish Friends

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife just got back home with 2 1/2 5 gallon buckets of pears :) us men are going back Saturday to pick the remaining ones that were too high for the ladies to pick. They are some nice looking big pears too :)

Score!
IMG_20180829_114953068.jpg

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's a nice haul! What are you going to do with them?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife was telling me stories about picking pears with her friend (name withhrld out of respect). They speak pennsylvania dutch which is an old form of German and not modern German but has evolved since Amish moved to the United States long ago. Of course the older children also know & learn English but the younger children only understand and can speak pennsylva dutch. My wife said I had a whole row of Amish kids in the back seat of the pickup truck because it was raining when they went to go pickup the kids from my wife's friends sister's house and my wife didn't want the kids walking home about 1/2 mile in the rain. Maybe I'll get permission to take pictures and share with you all one of these days.

It's kind of nice to be able to make friends with such a difference culture and lifestyle as our own. It's truly a great learning opportunity for me and my wife.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like to can pears like that too. I have a young pear tree, not bearing yet. That is so wonderful that y’all have made friends with Amish families.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife went and picked up her Amish Friend to come pick in the garden since there's isn't really doning so well. She brought 1 of her 5 childern. A perfect little 2 year old gentleman. He is very bashful but I was able to gain a little trust from him with his mom's help. He only talks pennsylvania dutch (German) but lucky for me I know just enough German to kind of understand what he was saying to me. I picked a small sunflower that was ready and picked a few seeds off and gave him a few seeds I eat some then he eat some and said thank you in German. He then seen the chickens and asked me in German if he could see chickens. So I showed him the turkeys and chickens. The little gentleman was so polite and asked him which chicken he liked, he pointed to a young buff orpengton hen so I gabbed it and put it a dog carrier and the hen is on its way back home with him now. I really thought that little gentleman was pretty cool and so polite for two years old I was amazed.
Anyways he knew chickens lay eggs and he said to me chicken lay egg for me to eat? Yes I said and this is your chicken now said and he said thank you.

The little guy also loved playing in the sand box and his mom asked if I would build one for them (they have 5 young childern) I said yes if you have a few cedar trees. She then offered to pay me for the sand box but I couldn't take money from them because they are friends.

Out of respect I purposely did not include any names.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's really a cool thing you did giving that little fella his own chicken! And, building them a sandbox is fantastic!