Amish Friends

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll be heading to Amish country next weekend for a girls' weekend with sibs and my mother. They have good food, good flea markets and beautiful farms to see.

Where in WV are they moving? Likely close to PA or MD, which both have large Amish populations.

Don't know the exact place but I do know they said it's not far either the ohio or pennsylvania state lines. So I suspect it's somewhere up in that sliver of west virginia that sits between ohio and Pennsylvania. I can say I've never been that far north in west virginia before either. From the map it looks cold up there brr...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Don't know the exact place but I do know they said it's not far either the ohio or pennsylvania state lines. So I suspect it's somewhere up in that sliver of west virginia that sits between ohio and Pennsylvania. I can say I've never been that far north in west virginia before either. From the map it looks cold up there brr...

Nah....the coldest part is near the eastern panhandle and a little north of it, where the larger mountains are located. The northern panhandle is about the same as where I live.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah....the coldest part is near the eastern panhandle and a little north of it, where the larger mountains are located. The northern panhandle is about the same as where I live.
Is there a big Amish community in the northern pan handle do you.know?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of....across the river in OH, maybe, but not in WV. Here's a little run down on Amish in WV~ https://amishamerica.com/amish-communities-west-virginia/

Plenty around our borders in OH, PA, MD and not as many in VA...mostly Mennonites in VA. We've got areas of Mennonites in WV as well, but not large communities like the Amish have.

I'm quite surprised to see pictures of Amish peoples faces. It's really disrespectful to take their picture.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ahem.....you two have forgotten Indiana. We have several large communities in the NE part of the state. Indiana has the the world’s third greatest Amish population, also has the most settlements over 10 church districts in size.

We would meet up with them when we would go to the Tri-State Gas Engine and Tractor shows.

(I am a Hoosier) ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry your Amish friends are moving. We used to have a good sized Mennonite community in VA Beach many years ago. Seems they moved to GA. Several families, now all the dairies are gone. I suspect some had to do with the market for selling their milk to processors. There are still a few families but, farming other than cows.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They do have good food. CC, is that a sugar cream pie?