1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Amish Friends

Discussion in 'Everything Else Homestead Living' started by CrealCritter, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Aug 31, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

They sound like really nice people! Nice of you to give the little man a hen :)

2. Sep 1, 2018
    cabinguy

cabinguy Lovin' The Homestead

Try taking the kids Popsicles on a hot day its special treat since they dont have refrigerators

sumi likes this.
  3. Sep 1, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Oh wow - I can't imagine having no refrigeration.

4. Sep 1, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Thanks CG. They have 4 young girls and 1 young boy. All of them are cute as buttons! And yes it's true they have no refrigeration. They keep their goat's milk cool in a deep pit. It's pretty doggone deep too.

I took my Amish friend to go pick pears this morning. Picking pears with him put a whole new meaning to the phrase "waste not want not" for me. He climbed the trees and got every last one. The ones what were to rotten we piled up around the base of the trees and he said "always leave some for the animals to eat".

5. Sep 1, 2018
    FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Mr. Sensitive

Yep, good to train the deer to come to orchard with the clear lines of sight!

:thumbsup

6. Sep 3, 2018
    cabinguy

cabinguy Lovin' The Homestead

On really hot days in the summer DW and I pack a cooler with ice and Popsicles and visit a couple of our Amish neighbors. Usually we find most of the family working on something in the basement to keep cool. Most of the time we end up sitting on the porch with the whole family enjoying the popsicles what a sight the children with orange ,red and blue stained faces begging the adults for there Popsicle sticks. When the Popsicles are gone they suck on the ice. Its more enjoyable than going to a movie.

sumi and CrealCritter like this.
  7. Sep 4, 2018
    CrealCritter

My Wife's Amish friend asked my wife what kind of pie is my favorite. Well cherry of course. Then after a few days later my wife comes walking in with, you guess it, a cherry pie. It sat on the counter for 2 days because it was so pretty to look at. But I couldn't take it anymore... I had to cut it. Delicious... With just a hint of smokey flavor, since it was cooked in a wood stove / oven.
    IMG_20180903_204853131.jpg

8. Sep 4, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

That looks so good! :drool

9. Sep 5, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

OH man - ya'll are killing me with all these food pics and discussions! But, I'd probably break my diet for that pie, lol!!

10. Oct 13, 2018
    CrealCritter

I cut a whole heaping puckup truck load of firewood from sawmill scraps. I needed to clean up anyways. I took the load over to our Amish friends and in exchange I got a loaf of bread, plate of zucchini brownies and 1 zucchini. I'm glad we settled the money thing. Anytime I would come by with something to give them, they would say we can pay you. After refusing many times I finally had to say that I don't like money, since it creates lots of problems. They both seemed amazed that I don't like money but it's 100% true I don't like money.
    Yes two are gone already :)
    IMG_20181013_164552300.jpg

Anyways, while stacking firewood I asked Ivan about raising a few cows. He said he has rasied them and they process their own. The conversation then turned to pasture. So over the next few weeks we are going to fence in a pasture on his property and then go to auction and buy 1 bull and two heffers. I'm looking forward to learning how to care for cattle and also how to process them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    sumi, baymule and cabinguy like this.