ANOTHER DOG attack

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
geez

4 goats maimed beyond saving
1 goat is lame, seeming in bad shape, will have to check more on her

so 4 goats are being shot right now as I type, Tony got the trailer and loading up all 4 hurt goats horrible scene this morning

geez again
LOL

Tony asked neighbor last night to shoot anything he sees, he said sure, he already does that as he has rabbits, lol so I hope he gets them too

come to find out that neighbor said the guy up the road walks at 5:30 every morn and saw 2 big dogs coming out of our pasture the other night---yea the night of the other attack

I thought this pasture was safe and obvious it isn't.

SO getting chicken wire to reinforce a small corral with stall and keeping them there at night, open up to pasture during the day.....I don't know what else to do at this point---crapp

ugh

gotta go gotta be checking goats and doctoring and stuff

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oh, that sounds awful! I've heard of people using an electric fence on the outside of their fence to keep predators out. Don't know if it would work?

I'm sorry about your goaties. :(

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
To bad you don't live closer FarmerChick, I could always use more target practice.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your goats. That is just terrible. I hope someone gets the dogs soon. I bet someone just let them go in the country and dumped them. I blame people as much as the roaming dogs.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:barnie Oh thats just horrible!!!!! I'm so sorry!

I'm planning on trying electric fencing, it won't be around our whole property, but around the horse and goat enclosures, and I hope that the first dog that comes up here gets zapped!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Ok, I hesitate to post this because I know that I'll probably get flamed for being cruel, but feral dogs are not only a menace to livestock, but to people also.

Take a couple of large treble hooks, and hang them from stout limbs, about 4 - 4 1/2 foot off the ground, using some very heavy wire. Then put a chuck of meat on it. This method has worked before, especially when a pack of dogs were involved. Check them every morning, and dispatch any found still alive.

Just remember that this will "catch" good dogs, as well as feral. Also, if you use this method, be discrete and practice the three S's.

ETA - As soon as the problem is "controlled", remove the hooks to keep other animals safe.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
a single strand of electric wire around the perimeter (about a ft off the ground) will keep out most dogs, wolves, foxes, etc. (another about a ft higher would be added security) my biggest predator problem around here are dogs, dogs that belong to other family members who refuse to be more responsible. they've tried to get into the chicken yard multiple times and they got one of my hens (although, to be fair, i think she'd escaped the pen first). that strand of electric wire (set to repel cows) has kept them out completely. they've even stopped circling the pen looking for a way in.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh no! Not again! I'm sorry to hear that the dog(s) came back and did more damage. I really hope you are able to find some resolution to this problem soon!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't hesitate to post that to me K0xxx

it is a brillant idea for predator control of wild dogs that I can see
I never heard of this but believe me it will be happening
tomorrow I will go to the store and get 2 giant hook sets and hang
absolutely
check in the morn and shoot
I have no problem with this

I used to always have electric wiring wasn't worth crapp for keeping out predators at all for me

I opted out of electric wire and got the RedBrand goat fencing small holes, 5 ft high, 2 lines barbed wire stretched on top and I walked every friggin inch of this fence and have no idea still how they got in I am clueless no stretch on bottom at all, they can't get under, I know I checked all of the 5 acre fencing. Jump? my only other thought at this time but I like K0xxx idea. I want those dogs dead. Point blank. I got a 5 yr old kid. No dog is going to hurt anything else on this property.

All goats locked up secure in the barn tonight and for all nights until dogs dispatched....and they will be.
Tonight is me and Tony, about 1 am going to sit on the porch and watch the lower barn and pasture side where I think they are getting in coming from the neighbors woods, and anything is getting shot....so no one come over my house tonight LOL

In 15 yrs nothing has killed my animals ever. I do not having use of my pastures and fearful etc for lose of animals ain't cool!

thanks all, rough few days and that "baby" 70 lber survived again and was blooded up and bit a few good times but gracious she survived fine....moving slow but I am surprised of the nine lives that little one has........oh man oh man is all I can say