ANOTHER DOG attack

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
rough few days and that "baby" 70 lber survived again and was blooded up and bit a few good times but gracious she survived fine....moving slow but I am surprised of the nine lives that little one has........oh man oh man is all I can say
Oh wow! Good for her. She sounds like a strong one! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh I am so sorry for your loss of goats. That is just scary having dog like that on the loose. Have you patrolled the area looking for them? I need to google those hooks. I hope you get them soon.

gina

Edit, oh yeah those will work.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Oh, that sounds awful! I've heard of people using an electric fence on the outside of their fence to keep predators out. Don't know if it would work?

I'm sorry about your goaties. :(
It is excellent for dogs, but her place may be too big. I have surrounded my 8 acres with two strands, mostly to keep my dogs and goats in, along the inside of the field fence. One strand nose high to a dog, the other nose high to a coon. Works wonders.

My charger runs at 3 joules and 14,000 to 17,000 volts.

It gets their attention.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Buster said:
tortoise said:
Oh, that sounds awful! I've heard of people using an electric fence on the outside of their fence to keep predators out. Don't know if it would work?

It is excellent for dogs, but her place may be too big. I have surrounded my 8 acres with two strands, mostly to keep my dogs and goats in, along the inside of the field fence. One strand nose high to a dog, the other nose high to a coon. Works wonders.

It gets their attention.
Which charger is that?

I've been looking and looking, the most I can find in Joules is 1.5 - which I think is enough for goats, but dern they're expensive, the one I just had in my hand at the store cost $269 (its still at the store till I can look more)

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Buster said:
tortoise said:

It gets their attention.
Which charger is that?
http://www.amazon.com/Parmak-MARK7-Impedance-120-Volt-Electric/dp/B0002YUWFC

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about your goats!
We are putting up 7 strands of wire across the property line and three around the rest for our new goats. We are not so worried about keeping our goats in as we are about keeping the neighbor's dog out!! But we are only fencing in a 1/2 acre and had to buy 4000' of wire so we are going to use it up just 'cause we have it, that is mostly why 7 strands.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
To bad you don't live closer FarmerChick, I could always use more target practice.
X2

I'd love to stay up at night and help you out.

Did anyone hear anything happening, any signs?

So sorry this happened again, damned dogs!

Keep em locked up and safe! Poor gals. :hugs

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
freemotion said:
k0xxx, will that method work with coyotes......
Free, I believe that it will. I learned of this method on another forum, where someone was dealing with a mixed pack of coyotes and dogs in Texas. I have only um..., er... "heard" that it worked on four feral dogs running in a pack here in Arkansas.

As the economy gets worse, I can see even more dogs being dumped by their owners. Owners that do this seem to think that is kinder to let them fend for themselves. They don't seem to understand the cruelty involved and the danger that they pose, over time, to humans.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
KOxxx..........what size hooks are recommended? I have found them up to 20/0( 8 1/4 inches long!)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
KOxxx..........what size hooks are recommended? I have found them up to 20/0( 8 1/4 inches long!)
I really don't know the size, but they were heavy salt water hooks that sat about 4 1/2 inches tall. They were buried with the dogs, and I need to get around to ordering some to keep on hand.