ANOTHER DOG attack

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never mind. I think I just need to bow out of this thread.

Sorry for your loss and your troubles, Farmchick.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
uneventful night

Tony and I got up around 1:30 and scouted the road and neighbor pasture and nothing of course....did that for about 1 hr and sat quiet for a bit but no action

Tony liked the hook idea but he is thinking baited poison

So we are deciding what to do at this point, but something will be done

goats locked up like fort knox and all fine this morning
they are so intense and alert it is weird
gonna lock up every night til we pick our plan of action and dispatch these mutts

the big doe with the hurt leg is walking now and grazing so I feel like she sure is out of danger at this point....I was thinking shoulder or fracture in that leg but all seems fine at this point so happy I got her saved too

yikes days can be rough but ya just plow thru them

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Don't let your guard down, those dogs know where they can get a quick meal if they get desperate enough.

Could there be a Llama or a donkey in your future?
Our old Vet has a donkey that HATES dogs!!
I don't know how a Llama or a donkey would work with goats, but..........

Guard behavior

Using llamas as livestock guards in North America began in the early 1980s and some sheep producers have used llamas successfully for that entire time. The use of guard llamas has greatly increased since a magazine article in 1990, when national attention was drawn to the potential use of llamas for guarding sheep. The ideal guard animal should protect sheep against predation while requiring minimal training, care, and maintenance. It should stay with and not disrupt the flock, and live long enough to be cost effective. A variety of guard animals currently in use include dogs, donkeys, kangaroos, ostriches, and llamas. Of these, guard dogs are still the most common; guard llamas number only in the hundreds. Studies have proven that llamas are successfully being used as guard animals for herds of sheep, goats, alpacas and other livestock throughout the North America. Protection of the herd and easy maintenance are the two most commonly cited advantages. Llamas are introduced to a herd and are pastured with them; they do not require separate shelters. Ideally, a llama should be introduced to the sheep while they are in a corral or small pasture rather than on open range or large pasture. The llama should remain in a small area until the sheep and llama seem well-adjusted and attached to each other. This encourages bonding between the sheep and llama. A llama introduced in this manner will be more effective as a guard against predators.

Research supports the use of multiple guard llamas is not as effective as one llama. Multiple male llamas tend to bond with one another, rather than with the livestock, and may ignore the flock. A gelded male of two years of age bonds closely with its new charges and is instinctively very effective in preventing predation. Some llamas appear to bond more quickly to sheep or goats if they are introduced just prior to lambing. Many sheep and goat producers indicate a special bond quickly develops between lambs and their guard llama and that the llama is particularly protective of the lambs.

Using llamas as guards has eliminated the losses to predators for many producers. The value of the livestock saved each year more than exceeds the purchase cost and annual maintenance of a llama. Although not every llama is suited to the job, most llamas are a viable, non-lethal alternative for reducing predation, requiring no training and little care

Donkey story.
http://www.icelandicsheepworld.com/guarddonkeys.htm

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I'm so sorry about your goats. That is just terrible. I hope someone gets the dogs soon. I bet someone just let them go in the country and dumped them. I blame people as much as the roaming dogs.
I am SO sorry about your goats. The ONLY way is to make those dogs DEAD.

People don't realize HOW dangerous dog packs can be. A nice friendly family pet can become a vicious people killer very quickly when running with a pack, much less attack and kill livestock. Part of the problem is while coyotes or wolves just hunt for food, a dog pack will hunt and kill for fun. Even a single dog will sometimes do this.

I had a flock of 50 meat chickens ready to butcher the coming weekend when a single medium sized dog from the neighborhood jumped the fence and broke into my coop. In the course of about 30 minutes he bit and killed ALL of the chickens leaving them dead all around the coop and yard. We never got any restitution for the act either. "Muffy (or what ever the dogs name was) would never do anything like that!"

My cousins had a neighbor that had recently moved to the country with their Great Dane. "Now he has a nice place to run and play." and "Look how he is making friends with the neighbor dogs." Within weeks farmers were having stock losses. People even identified their dog and went and talked to the people and told them what was happening. Good farm dogs that had NEVER been a problem before were following him into destruction.

Those people finally understood when the Dane was shot in the middle of a pig pen after killing half a litter of the farmers piglets. Even then they did not understand WHY their "sweet dog" had been shot.

I think as the economy worsens we will see more and more deadly dog packs.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I think as the economy worsens we will see more and more deadly dog packs.
yep. and sometimes its just plain foolishness.

when we first moved in even my good neighbors couldnt understand why we wouldnt let our dogs go over and "play" with theirs.. um.... nothing is worse for the farming community than 5 male dogs running loose!

FC - sorry about the late nite. this is really a worrisome situation for sure. i know that its been hard on everyone. i know you'll just keep on keepin' on.

SKR8PN is right, stay on high alert.

i know you arent a dog person but maybe a donkey would be a good guard choice for you?

you and T will work it out, i just know it
:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as economy gets worse yes people dump pets, more than dogs too lol

and thanks Ohio
I will work this out cause I have no choice protect livestock vs. feral dogs no issue to me lol

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your goats. :hugs

My sister's donkey "Bo-rito"could kick with all 4 feet at the same time. And he was sneaky too, he would sneak right up to the poor unsuspecting mut and nail him. He was a small donkey too, not quite a mini tho.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I second the donkey if you get one that is friendly.

Our donkey, Daero, had to be kept separate from the goats because he would try to kill them, but he was a wonderful guard animal, whenever the dog get in the pen she went flying out the other side as soon as possible.

FF, I hope they left that great Dane in the pig pen to give them something to eat! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about the dog issues. I hope your truobles are over with SOON, and there are no more issues. BE SAFE out there. They dont always go for the livestock.