Anxiety Treatment Options?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hugs to you, and I will put you on my prayer list. Heavenly Father, I lift Jamie and his wife up to you. I pray that you will surround them with your people who can bring comfort to them at this difficult time. I pray for DW, that you will bring her healing. That the medical team involved in her care would treat her with wisdom and compassion. Please touch Jamie, and remind him that he can trust you in EVERY circumstance.

We may not like the path we must travel, but we can know that Jesus will travel that path with us.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I suggest putting your attention on modulating your autonomic nervous system. It sounds as if the recent hardships and concern about your wife's threat is producing a stress response. That's really hard on us when we are faced with chronic stressors.

This video is a fantastic primer on the autonomic nervous system, and the speaker is funny too. Definitely worth watching.

The speaker talks a bit about safety signals. Our bodies don't perceive safety simply in the absence of a threat. We need safety signals from social cues with safe people or mammals (dogs count!), to have background noise with in a specific wavelength range - not too high or too low. Cultivating gratitude also helps create some of these safety signals.

When not sleeping well, everything is more difficult. I have two book suggestions for you.

Cleaning up sleep hygiene really works! This book helped me *so* much!!
https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Smarter-Essential-Strategies-Success/dp/1536618314

This book is one my doctor recommended. It deals with anxiety from a cognitive behavioral approach, and will help tighten up your sleep hygiene further after the book above.
https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Your-M...eywords=quiet+your+mind+and+get+to+sleep+book

Cognitive behavioral therapy is very powerful against anxiety, and you can access the benefits even when you don't have access to professional therapy. There are quite a few good workbooks and many library will have them. Search /anxiety CBT/ and see what you can get.

Cognitive behavioral therapy goes hand in hand with meditation. Meditation is a way to modulate the autonomic nervous system. It's very effective. If you struggle with meditation, deep breathing exercises are an equal alternative.

Always focus on what you can and cannot control. You cannot control your wife's health status, but you do control how you think about it, how you feel about it, and how to act in response to it. Much of anxiety can be relieved by studying and dwelling upon circles of control and concern, and repeatedly bringing your attention to those things you can control (and away from things which you cannot control).

circle-concern-control.jpg

As other have said, your body needs vitamin D - most of us are deficient. And sunlight, even on an overcast day we benefit from natural light.

Changing your diet can improve mood. Reducing grains, then sugars, then carbs, in that order while increasing animal fat can really even out emotional and energy ups and downs during the day for most people eating Standard American Diet. Eat lots of veggies to promote a better microbial balance in your gut - which has a big effect on your brain.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/the-gut-brain-connection
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5045149/

If you're looking for dietary guidance rather than wanting to figure it out yourself, the Wahl's Protocol is for maximizing brain and gut microbiome health.

There is a lot left within your control. They may not be the things you want to have in your control. But you will face whatever challenges lay ahead with greater resilience and better decision-making when you are taking care of your physical wellness.

:hugs

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@tortoise Thank you for the post. Good stuff in there. I do vitamin D and try to stick to a low carb keto-like diet.

Both cats took turns loving on me hard this evening. Lololol

I am proud I have steered clear of alcohol. We have good stuff, but I haven't touched it.

I will look deeper at those reference books

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule and @NH Homesteader , regarding the CBD oil....illegal under the new medical marijuana law now in effect. My career is primarily in the IT financial sector, so drug screens happen. I know CBD is not supposed to flag on a test, but I can't take a chance.
My husband is retired. It no longer matters.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would suggest making or buying some herbal teas using a few adaptogenic herbs to help your body deal with the stress-- American Ginseng, Eleuthero (will help you sleep), and Holy Basil. Other herbs that will help to calm you are the nervines- lemon balm, lavender, catnip, and chamomile.

Also, how much Vitamin D are you taking? Most people don't take enough to counteract SAD-- I started out taking 10,000 units a day (5,000, twice a day) - for over a year before my body finally got enough stored in my body fat that I needed to drop back down to 5,000 a day. I have SAD also.

Another thing that might help is to try and get your hands into some soil (not potting soil, you need the real thing for this). There is a fungus that is absorbed through the skin that has an effect on the body similar to Prozac, but without the side effects. (Now we know why we love to garden so much!)

I hope you can find some relief from this.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I double checked 5000 mg vitamin D daily

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I double checked 5000 mg vitamin D daily

Can you get a vitamin D blood test? I took 5,000 IU for a year, my doctor checked and it was still lower than it should have been. She increased my dose to 5,000 IU 5 days/week and 10,000 IU 2 days/week, and recheck blood test after 3 months. The test is $153 for me after insurance discount/adjustment.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
And so......my last day at work is Feb 15. Guess I sensed this coming. I have been looking for a few months. It's a form of relief. Yesterday's comments were a blessing. Thank you

Latest posts