Any trappers here?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If i were to eat possum again, id boil it and then roast it to get more fat out of the meat. Tastes fine, just really fatty.
You could make 17 bars of soap from one possum. :D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The trapper's license and permits are too expensive here to trap stuff for profit. I can't legally go after the beaver without that as they are protected. Otherwise someone would have taken the stupid things out 35 years ago when they first dammed the stream and flooded all the hay fields into ponds.

Racoons, weasels, and opossums can be taken care of without that hassle if they are threatening my chickens. I have a live trap big enough to take a racoon. It's only been deployed to catch the opossum that killed a broody. Mostly it kept catching my cats. Well mostly it caught one specific cat since he's food greedy and too nosey.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You guys should try dog proof traps. Duke makes them for about $15. Easy to set and bait. Just put a marshmallow in it and stake it down close to the chicken coop. If theres a coon he will get it. They are too smart for live traps (most times)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only time I trap is predator issue. I have eliminated some possum with gun or machete....trapped an released groundhogs far away....skunk, I try to run off. See an occasional fox every couple yrs, thats it for my area. Hunters generally help. 😁

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I trapped a possum in a live trap, that was stealing eggs from under a broody hen. Ugh, they are stinky and oh so ugly! No pelt there!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would never have thought about either saving the hide or eating it! Guess I should think about it a little differently. Good info - thanks!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't trap here, but some stupid beavers are making me rethink that. Normally the dogs chase eveything off.

We do have weasels, racoons, and possums as well.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband does some trapping, mostly nuisance animals though. He is interested in it for sure. Definitely haven't eaten any of those critters though! My husband said he's heard possum is good if you brine it... Not sure I'll ever find that one out!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't trap here, but some stupid beavers are making me rethink that. Normally the dogs chase eveything off.

We do have weasels, racoons, and possums as well.

Beaver pelts pay $$$$ . Watch a couple utube videos on trapping beaver and order some #5 double long spring traps. Its worth the time

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lots and lots of rabbits here, saw some foxes and I know there are mink, but I haven't seen one here yet.

We trapped mongoose in South Africa, because they wreaked havoc with my chickens, killing chicks, then stealing eggs, then going after the hens. I'm open-minded about eating meat from different animals, but I had no desire to try mongoose.

Last i heard fox pelts were bringing $75-100 each from northern states

Latest posts