ANYONE do the juicing thing?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ORChick said:
y You cannot drink the juice unsweetened..it is very nasty.

:lol: You really shouldn't generalize like this, you'll scare people away :lol: IMO (and I know I am a little weird) cranberry juice, unsweetened, is just fine - in small quantities, and diluted! On the few occasions when I have used it to combat a UTI I have wanted to avoid the extra sugar, and have drunk it (like medicine), a shot at a time, unsweetened. I suppose I should add that I don't have a juicer, and so cook the berries in a bit of water till they pop and release their juice; maybe they are as nasty as you say when raw, I wouldn't know.
Farmerchick - as stated, I don't have a juicer, but I would imagine that if you start with something you like (apples, carrots), and add other things in, starting small and adding till you no longer find it pleasant, that you will come up with some great mixtures. Have fun with it :)
ORChick...all I can say..is that..You're a better man then me!! :lol: :gig :woot

However, even you say you must consume it in A) small quantities, B) diluted C) cooked...not juiced.

I add my cranberry juice to carrot/celery juice. :weee

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
You 'juicers' can't seem to agree about the amount of pulp =fiber produced/discarded. Meanwhile I sit here snacking on veggies and fruit because it is low cal and fills me up so I eat less at meals and the fiber is supposed to keep my gut clean. I can't buy in tp the juicer clsims they just are not logical.
~gd - You need to be a little more tolerant; not everyone has your ability to do what one should to stay healthy :lol:. A lot of people just don't like vegetables, for a number of reasons - lack of exposure as children being a common one - and Farmerchick has said that her DH is one of these. Sometimes, with children or recalcitrant spouses, hiding nutritious things is the only way to get them to eat them. Sure, eating the whole fruit/veg is better than sending it through the juicer - more fiber, as you say, plus exercise for the jaws ;) - but not everyone is willing to do that to any extent. One apple is good, and about as far as most people want to go at any one time. By juicing one can get that one apple + a lot of other healthy things into a serving that the average person doesn't find overwhelming. --- BTW, I am not a juicer, though I do make the occasional smoothie in the blender; and I agree with you that I'd rather have the apple or the carrot than the juice. But a lot of people don't agree, so juicing is a viable option, IMO.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
GD the juice drinks also fill a person up.

I eat tons of salads and veggies. At some point I want something different. truly. juicing seems like a great way to get fast nutrients when not wanting tons of munchies.

A drink can have alot of veggies packed into one 8 oz glass. So while 'a juicer' person does get the benefits of the veggies/fruits without having to munch a ton of these all the time, a 'juicer' also eats veggies and fruits. that is me :D

but like I said before I will be juicing for DH who is not a veggie fan. If I can get a carrot, celery, kale into a fruit drink and he enjoys it, then we all win :p

it isn't all or nothing. it is an added benefit to enjoy in a meal plan

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
has anyone juiced wheatgrass before???
I am debating on ordering a wheatgrass juicer and growing my own in my window sil. My local Organic farm store has excellent spring and winter and red wheatberries that i think would work wonderful for planting. I know ive heard the stuff tastes like Crap, but im willing to suck it down. I know its suppose to be super good for you and i guess the main reason im trying it is cuz of its fertility boosting attributes. Some people swear by it.... or at it i guess if it doesnt help. ive never really believed a whole lot that certain foods/herbs can be helpful in infertility cures/treatments, but what the heck, why not.... if it doesnt help its still really good for me to take and then i will know. Im sure doing it myself is alot cheaper and better quality than some pill or pre-packaged "shots" as they call them.

Ive always wanted a juicer because my DH doesnt love veggies at all. I might still get one. Ive always admired the Jack lalane power juicer on the info mercials but have never bought one. Ill eat anything, but unfortunetly DH could really really use the veggies and fruits in his diet and i can only sneak them in so many foods.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rd200 said:
I am debating on ordering a wheatgrass juicer and growing my own in my window sil. My local Organic farm store has excellent spring and winter and red wheatberries that i think would work wonderful for planting. I know ive heard the stuff tastes like Crap, but im willing to suck it down. I know its suppose to be super good for you and i guess the main reason im trying it is cuz of its fertility boosting attributes. Some people swear by it.... or at it i guess if it doesnt help. ive never really believed a whole lot that certain foods/herbs can be helpful in infertility cures/treatments, but what the heck, why not.... if it doesnt help its still really good for me to take and then i will know. Im sure doing it myself is alot cheaper and better quality than some pill or pre-packaged "shots" as they call them.

Ive always wanted a juicer because my DH doesnt love veggies at all. I might still get one. Ive always admired the Jack lalane power juicer on the info mercials but have never bought one. Ill eat anything, but unfortunetly DH could really really use the veggies and fruits in his diet and i can only sneak them in so many foods.
Good question. I have never been able to find it, wheat grass...or...do you grow it. I will be sitting back and taking notes on this one. :pop :caf

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my local health food store sells it in powder form like this link

http://amazinggrass.com/product/42/Organic-Wheat-Grass-30-servings.html

they sell wheatgrass kits also...but probably have to get off the internet unless you have a truly big organic/health store in your area. I don't.

I am going to buy the wheatgrass powder and just add it into a juice after making---or just 'get it down' anyway I can cause it sure says it contains great things to help the immune system

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
rd200 said:

Good question. I have never been able to find it, wheat grass...or...do you grow it. I will be sitting back and taking notes on this one. :pop :caf
well, you can buy it online or you can grow it. Im just going to grow it. Seems relativelly easy to grow and juice. I think you need to grow a fair amount if you want a few ounces a day to drink. I figure if i grow it it will be funner for my son, he can help me with the process and then he might be more apt to drink it???? Maybe....

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep it is easy to grow, I used to grow it for my mother's old indoor only CAT. The vet suggested it to help with hair balls and the cat demanded her daily fix of 'grass'.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
~gd said:
Can anyone explain the health benefit of throwing away the fiber? Frankly I eat more fruit and veggies raw just for the fiber. I am planning some major dental work and the dentist suggested a blender until I get my teeth replaced, a juicer was never mentioned as an option.
Well....as it was explained to me, and makes much sense if one thinks about it, the maximum amount of nutrients one can get into a cup of juice is derived from the actual juice and not the fiber. Sure you can eat the veggies that you would put into the juicer...say four large, fresh carrots will equal one 8 oz. cup of carrot juice.

If you are eating raw veggies for the rest of the day for your fiber needs, but really want the Vit. A and Betacarotene you need without the prospect of eating four large carrots each morning, then you juice them. The body can process this juice in a fraction of the time it would take to extract it from the fibrous carrot meal you consume, getting the nutrients where they are needed quickly and with less energy spent in digestion...energy that could be utilized in the muscular contractions of exercising.

If you don't regularly consume natural fiber by eating raw fruits and veggies...then eating those carrots may be just what you need and you can skip the whole juicing thing.

mychoock

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Just chiming in with out juicing experiences...
My husband and I have used a juicer for a couple years, sometimes more or less. We appreciate its value in adding bursts of vitamins and flavor and refreshing healthiness.
We do grow our own wheatgrass, which is easy because we sprout our own sprouts, so growing wheatgrass is just as easy as that.
As for using us the pulp from the juicer, we feed it to the chickens and that can only make the eggs better.

Latest posts