Anyone Else Currently Homeschooling?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It would take a lot of work on your part to organize something like that. Parents I know who have done things like that... it's all they do. Not an easy thing to do.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Exactly why I didn't, I don't have time for that. We don't mind being the odd ones out LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm planning to switch back to homeschool for the coming school year.

Putting DS11 in public school for the last school year was... painful... but a few good things came out of it. He got to experience some natural consequences about hygiene, grades, deadlines, missing the bus, etc. He got "schooled" on what an appropriate pace of work and production of work is for his age. He made friends... and more enemies than friends. Got harassed enough about his intelligence to dislike school all over again. The environment was enough structure to demonstrate that his ADHD is probably not ADHD and he doesn't need medication. (He got A honor roll without medication.) It also exposed his underacheiving behaviors clearly.

I got a chance to regroup. I read A LOT of parenting and education books. I found a few gems, tested out their advice, AND IT WORKED! DS11 started talking and I was able to figure out the origins of some of the behavior problems of our past homeschool experience. He thought homeschool grades don't count. He thought there were no consequences. (How he thought that I cannot imagine!!!!)

I starting testing out a new routine and schedule on weekend toward the end of the school year. It works! I found HomeSchoolMinder.com which solves all of my recordkeeping stress :weee, has a student login which reminds DS11 of public school's online gradebook, and generates professional looking reports. It's so awesome!

I set up a schedule that has rewards and consequences built right into it. Totally limits his passive power behaviors. :celebrate

All systems go, I think! I'm not committing to homeschool or not until the last moment (filing homeschool documentation the week before public school starts), but I am feeling confident!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Many people have been turning to homeschooling recently with all of the recent s book shootings, and some other issues with public schools. I had some links, but don't have it anymore.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yep! As of May 21, 2018 more US students died in school shootings than US soldiers killed in combat zones in 2018.:ep Shocking! Granted there are a lot more students in the US - about 75 million - than soldiers in combat zones - about 15K by my best internet estimate. But still. .... :eek:

DS11 figured out there was a school shooting more than once a week (23 in 21 weeks) in 2018, and he knows the the majority of the shooters were between 14 and 17 years old. o_O Why would I put him back in a public school, exactly?

If any good would come of school shootings, it would be increase in homeschooling. JMO.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That and armed guards at schools. We have a resource officer at the high school. Not for shootings, but he'd stop that too.

It is one reason I homeschool, but not the only reason.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
summer schooling is cancelled due to bad behavior. :sigh: tutoring cancelled because he won't work on it. HE CHOSE THE PROJECT, but after weeks of him lamenting, crying, yelling about "I can't think of anything" I pulled the plug. Not gonna pay $50/hour for a tutor if he won't do his homework for it. He is SO excessively, extra, overly dramatic. Getting increasingly worse. It's for show, it's contemptuous, and disrespectful behavior. He would never, ever do it in public. He knows it angers DH and triggers my symptoms. :sigh: