Anyone else shop at a dollar store?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't shop there, but I'd love to get a job there. I've 20 some odd years of retail manglement, and they pay really well. (Dollar Tree) for managers. Just wish I had a working vehicle, somewhat of a requirment for a manager's position.

Seems because of these hard times, these dollar type stores are going bonkers sales wise and are actually one of the few retail companies that are expanding. Have like three that have opened in the last five months between Family Dollar, Dollar tree and Dollar store.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sunglasses, which I tend to break or lose every other day.
Candy when I'm in a junking mood.
Cheap treats for kid's party favors.
Gift bags.
Cards.
Canning lids.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get work gloves for all of us, kitchen towels, cleaning stuff,gift bags, junk like that.
We did have a dollar store,as a matter of fact two, and two dollar trees,but last month the dollar stores here closed, now that was some sale, it took them a month but the prices got down to 39cents for stuff, we now have enough gloves to last for along time!

I only buy candy there, most of the other food stuff I can get cheaper on sale at the regular stores.And you are all right about the China influence with the make-up and most food items.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I shop at Family Dollar all the time...for everything! The nearest Wallie World or similar store is almost 50 mi. away, so FD is the store with the stuff for us country folk.

I buy all my personal hygiene items except make-up there, ziploc bags, bleach, and other household cleaners, tuna, crackers and some other name brand food items.

Also find some neat containers there for storage and gift giving.

I like Dollar General better for foods and clothing but the rest I get at FD.

Its the redneck shopping mecca! :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i like to go to the dollar store and ask them how much stuff is:

me: how much is this?
clerk: a dollar
me: what about this?
clerk: one dollar
me: and this
clerk: 100 pennies

oh golly i could do it all day long! (just kidding)

i buy tons of gladlock stuff, freezer bags (but i've gotten at least one batch that didnt seal right), and cleaning stuff. i kinda shy away from the food. mostly b/c i dont buy too much food at the store anyway. but if i see name brand and check the date - sure.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If we had them, we'd probably shop at them. We don't have any dollar stores at all that I know of. Probably the ground rent and shipping in of the sales goods is too expensive for them to work here. It's all good, though, we have yard sales year round so there's always good stuff available for very little money. Even if we did have any dollar stores, we only get into town about once every two weeks or so.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy the dishwasher powder to use for the base of my homemade. Also hair things for my grandkids and plastic containers.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have a couple different dollar stores and I love them. But I'm selective. I never shop the food aisle. And some items there are not worth a dollar.

My best deals have been things like:

pot holders
shower curtain liners
candles
kitchenware
cleaning supplies
sunglasses or reader glasses

Since these items are not fun to spend money on, I'd rather get them for a dollar. I tend to wear out or lose these things so spending very little for them is rather practical.

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dollar Tree is my favorite dollar store. I buy gift wrapping supplies, gift basket supplies, sponges and scrubbing things. I recently discovered that Dollar Tree carried the President brand of feta cheese in their cooler and frozen organic strawberries from a farm in Ohio. Those are the only food items that I buy at Dollar Tree. They also sell shelf stable Westsoy soy milk from Colorado. I don't want to eat food from China!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
baggies- usually Family Dollar
hot pads, kitchen towels, dish cloths
candles
hair clips, ponytail holders
rubbing alcohol, peroxide, bandaids
seeds - they're usually the open pollinated varieties!
not much food