Are posters here HAPPIER having few men in SS Forums?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ohh my other half posts on the shooter's forum that he's a part of quite a lot.... Here not so much, LOL.
Course the funniest thing about us is that he's the cook! He teases and says its because he doesn't want to eat macaroni and cheese every night! :gig That's only partly true, though. Really. I just don't enjoy cooking, I don't know what it is but I don't find it fun. I know WHY we cook from scratch, I just don't find it fun.
But I clean like a fiend. And I LOVE projects. He, not so much. If I had better skills with the power tools that I would do more, but I am not so good, and am fairly small, so I don't have the weight/gravity advantage.

And I'm on here cause I love to read and talk! (I'm sure yall noticed that already though....)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
~gd said:
It can be a hostile environment. I use a gender free name on here but once they figure out I am male it seems that I can't know S... anything about the female arts. Well this old Bachelor had to learn many of those the hard way in order to live in comfort. Way back in the dark ages both genders had to take one half school year in both Home Economics and in Wood Shop in order to graduate HS. On the other hand I had to take my case to the school board to get permission to take Typing since I might disrupt the Ladies that hopped to work in an office one day. So when do they teach 'keyboarding now?
I just trotted out the statists that showed that typed term papers got better grades then the same paper written in long hand even with a Fountain Pen.
I recently visited 3 big box office supply stores and not one of them had a simple bottle of ink. Times change, adapt or die! ~gd
Nicely said, sir. Way back when, I took typing with two of my buddies as a seniors in high school with a room full of sophomore girls. The teacher was a cool old dude who said "sit in the back, don't cause issues, and you'll get a 'B' no matter how bad you type". I took the course because I was headed to college, too.

I spent too many winter nights laying on a sheet of cardboard helping my dad "fix" what ever the latest issue was under the car or in the freezing rain working on one of my grandfather's tractors or other equipment. I can do the basics on my stuff around the house, but I know my limits. I'd rather spend my time gardening, raising animals, and canning. I know enough gear heads who can't cook and will trade work for a good meal. My wife appreciates the help around the house - there are some things I do better than her!

I do computer technology stuff in my career, so I'm comfortable being online now and again, but not to talk about what might be stereotypical "guy stuff" for some.

YMMV

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't speak for men in general, or SS men in particular, because I'm a woman :D

but...

DH is into all this stuff at *least* as much as I am. He just is completely unswayed by the siren song of a message board. I think this is less because he is male and more because he is not that into the computer in general.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband is the one who found me in the woods and brought me to the house we're in now. There's some filler story in between- I wasn't abducted! (Proofreading is a good thing). He has been ss on and off since he was a kid living here with no power and no running water. He also knows a LOT about renewable energy system design. He just doesn't like to do what I do on these forums- which involves talking to strangers on the internet. ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Leta said:
DH is into all this stuff at *least* as much as I am. He just is completely unswayed by the siren song of a message board. I think this is less because he is male and more because he is not that into the computer in general.
Exactly.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I'm a guy. I just don't say much since much of what I would say has been said by the time I get to get to the forum.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is interesting... and satisfying, in a way. A number of men have responded here.

One thing that's coming through in a lot of the comments is a leaning toward a prepper kind of thing. I come into all this SS stuff more from tha angle of loving nature, loving country life, liking to do things with my hands (as well as my mind), appreciating eating healthy-raised food, enjoying living in a neighborhood where people know one another. Stuff like that. More the "carrot" than the "stick". My lifestyle just happens to coincide a lot with what preppers seem to be interested in.

But I'd ask the guys here, the ones who have responded here and others who will maybe read this thread: is the prepper aspect the main thing that interests you? or what subjects here interest you? how can the SS forum serve you?

If you're interested in the prepper direction, what aspect of it motivates you? saving money? being able to do more with less? feeling that agriculture, at some scale, may be what will feed you? concerns about possible upcoming social unrest?

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Women seem to be more comfortable chatting on the net where most guys seem to need the face to face aspects of communication. That dynamic carries across all the sister sites. All female mods except me.