Are posters here HAPPIER having few men in SS Forums?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It isn't simple as a guy says and gal says at all.

it is about location, upbringing, personal beliefs and more.

if a guys says this wrench is best. then sure it is an easy conversation.

if we all get into a 'how to bring up kids' and more conversation then it is way more than just simple fact and everyone is entitled to go a bit, snarky, but we have to know when to back off and remember no one will ever agree on every point. Remember also we had some lousey guys on this forum :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My husbands perspective --If he needs to learn somethiing, he will look it up. He doesn't need to discuss it in a forum. my outlook is(or was), this is a social outlet just as much as a learning environment. Since he works outside of the home, he gets his socializing away from the home. Each and everyone of us could do the same thing. (As in research something instead of chatting about it on a forum.) I am starting more and more to just research it instead of coming here to share and learn. Some of the comments on this thread are just sealing the deal for me. With what has happened just not long ago, and now the tone of this forum has changed quite a bit to something I do not enjoy. Really, girl world politics? :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have to agree miss_thenorth. The sexist attitudes from both genders is not very inviting. With "girl world politics" and "We had some lousey guys on this forum" I'm sure all the new folks will feel a warm fuzzy welcome. :rolleyes:

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Joel_BC said:
I come into all this SS stuff more from tha angle of loving nature, loving country life, liking to do things with my hands (as well as my mind), appreciating eating healthy-raised food, enjoying living in a neighborhood where people know one another. Stuff like that. More the "carrot" than the "stick". My lifestyle just happens to coincide a lot with what preppers seem to be interested in.
Oh. You said it perfectly. That's how I feel. I didn't really think about the prepper concept until I got here and started realizing that if I am going to do it, I might as well do it in such a way that if SHTF I'm prepared. It won't take any more/less effort for the two to mesh.
You can add me -and DH- to this philosophical pile as well.

Between the two of us, I am more the apocolyptararian. But I think that is just because I worked at a bank and saw the crash coming, and because I read a bunch of peak oil books.

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Don't worry as things continue to worsen they will find us.
I began talking to a good many of my buddies five or six years ago about prepping and becoming more self-sufficient. They all looked at me like I had a third eye. Many still do. They just shake their heads, roll their eyes and change the subject. Now that I am well set up and seeing results some of them are asking questions. There is only one person out of all the men I know that paid close attention and started preparing. It took him two years to convince his wife that while she is shopping, if they need one, Buy 2 or 4. What finally got her on board was proving to her it would not be cheaper next week.
I'm close to retirement as are many of my friends. When I ask them how they would get by without their pension or social security they refuse to consider that it might possibly not be there down the road.
I brew wine and hard cider every year and rarely drink it just because I see it as a good item to barter with down the road. ( besides I prefer an adult beverage made with hops and barley and I can still afford it ) Same with ammunition (not that I make it) I have enough put away to last me two lifetimes because down the road it could be very difficult to buy. I harvest fresh fruit, rhubarb, asparagus and grapes, Grow more vegtables than I can use and the chickens provide so many eggs that sometimes I boil, mash, and feed them back to the chickens, shells and all.
Most of my neighbors take their trash to the street weekly and the containers are overflowing. I had trash picked up once in July. Paper all gets burned. Compost, recycle, reuse and repurpose for everything else has become a way of life.
My next project will be a solar dehydrator as I am running out of freezer space and closet space for canned goods.
The men who are here know full well what we are facing. The men who are not here will figure it out. They just don't want to stop and ask directions. :gig
All good points!

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Toulle said:
Or, to be more blunt, a bit less "girl-world" politics would go a long way towards keeping the menfolk around.
Wrong word used - should have been "girl-world" drama

Biggest reason why there are less men here is the same as why women are so much more active on facebook or what not. Women use the internet more for "online chatting", while men use it more to "surf the 'net".

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Only women create drama? So where are you in the lineup on your avatar? :p ;)

I use the internet for both information and chatting. More for information lately.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wrong word used - should have been "girl-world" drama
and drama is something you seem to participate in quite easily. (and then bitch about it). And one of the reasons I mostly lurk now. So thanks for that, guys and gals. And just to clarify--not all you guys and not all you gals. You know who you are.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Second to last - wage slave

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Toulle said:
Wannabefree said:
Second to last - wage slave
SHEESH! No wonder you're mean!! :lol: I'm just kidding ;)

On a more serious note, I do think the drama(from BOTH genders :p ) keeps alot of folks away from this site and others, but this is one of the tamest sites I have EVER been a part of! I haven't been on that many, and maybe it's inexperience, but I think this is one of the better ones when it pertains to the level of drama. I dunno why more men don't get on here. Maybe the tool section will help, and the cold weather :hu

Latest posts