Are we a Christian nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Ldychef2k said:
I agree completely that we were established as a Christian nation. The mess we are in now is because we have gotten away from that heritage in order to appease those who hate and deny our God.
The 'mess' we are in now is NOT because we have gotten away from that heritage, in my opinion, it is because of the diversity, not that I call would call it a mess. How many people in this nation (a country that was not Christian to begin with) have immigrated from countries who do NOT believe in Christianity. If, we indeed, were founded on Christianity (which I do not believe) are you saying that we should have converted everyone and cast out those who did not believe?

http://nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm
are you saying that it is ok to come here if you hate us, have no roots here and have no intentions of becoming part of us?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Please watch the presentation from David Burton. His presentation is based on writings and records that any one of us can find in the congressional library and other resources including online. Then make your own decision. It is a worthwhile presentation for anyone to watch.

http://www.intouch.org/site/c.cnKBIPNuE 5/Home.htm

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
andehens said:
Blackbird said:
Ldychef2k said:
I agree completely that we were established as a Christian nation. The mess we are in now is because we have gotten away from that heritage in order to appease those who hate and deny our God.
The 'mess' we are in now is NOT because we have gotten away from that heritage, in my opinion, it is because of the diversity, not that I call would call it a mess. How many people in this nation (a country that was not Christian to begin with) have immigrated from countries who do NOT believe in Christianity. If, we indeed, were founded on Christianity (which I do not believe) are you saying that we should have converted everyone and cast out those who did not believe?

are you saying that it is ok to come here if you hate us, have no roots here and have no intentions of becoming part of us?
They brought many shiploads of people here that had no roots here, had no intentions of becoming part of us, and by the time of arrival- probably hated us. That was called slavery. :rant
This country was supposed to be open to people of different beliefs. Many of the original colonists were trying to escape persecution for being a different religion. They wanted to be free and be left alone. Unfortunately, they got here and ruined things for the people that were already here. The colonist said they wanted religious freedom - but actions speak louder than words. They treated people that were different terribly.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think it wise for me not to respond further. I find it better to simply state my beliefs and leave it at that. I am not here to change anyone's mind, simply to make a comment.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
andehens said:
Blackbird said:
Ldychef2k said:

Let's see.....those original founding fathers that everyone canonizes hated the people who were already here, had no roots here and had no intention of learning the religion or customs that were already present and prevalent here.....I guess that's what our country is all about. We either learn to accept each other and and offer them the same freedoms and rights we enjoy or we will surely fail as a nation.

Reaction score
I don't think anybody hates anybody's God. You can't really hate something you have never seen or met. People just don't like having other peoples beliefs shoved down their throats. Religion should be a personal thing. I don't expect atheism to be in the public square and I don't expect any other religion to be in the public square. Decisions that effect everybody should not be made based on religious beliefs. Our founding fathers particularly Jefferson felt very strongly about that. So even though we are made up of a lot of people that profess to be Christians it does not make us a Christian nation. It's too bad that John Lennons song Imagine could never be true. The world would be a much better place.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
andehens said:
Blackbird said:

They brought many shiploads of people here that had no roots here, had no intentions of becoming part of us, and by the time of arrival- probably hated us. That was called slavery. :rant
This country was supposed to be open to people of different beliefs. Many of the original colonists were trying to escape persecution for being a different religion. They wanted to be free and be left alone. Unfortunately, they got here and ruined things for the people that were already here. The colonist said they wanted religious freedom - but actions speak louder than words. They treated people that were different terribly.
You are very right Laura.

No Andehens, I do not exactly believe it is right to come here and hate people - what people are you referring to? Our founders and the very first European people who came here had no roots.

They came here to create a better life - exactly what most of the people who come here today do.

Not everyone who isn't Christian hates Christians and comes here to wreak havoc.

There is a somewhat diverse community in my state, Somali and Hmong communities, a large majority being refugees - some people who have never heard of Christianity. What if you escaped from somewhere to start a new life and when you got there they stripped you of every belief you had and was raised upon? The worse thing we could do as a nation is that.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Founding Fathers were children of the Enlightenment. Then shouldn't we be an enlightened country?

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I spoke hastily Blackbird, now I'm not sure what I meant....... My own experience with immigrants is that they come here and dismiss and are mostly rude to me, who is one of those that work and pay taxes and give them medical care, schooling and so forth. I don't expect a thank you, but please don't rob me. As far as slavery, I wasn't here then, I would like to think I would have taken the high road.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I'm a Christian and very proud of that.
That being said, other religions and cultures are fascinating to me. I love to learn about other cultures. I'd love to be able to travel more and see outside my little world.

We have missionaries that go to Pakastain and have come back with wonderful stories. Not stories of taliban or al quida (however your spell that) but people that love their families, love their neighbors and have a very rich culture.

just because I choose to follow the teachings of Jesus, doesn't mean I wouldn't be friends with those that don't. I really like to hear about other beliefs and talk about my own.

I only get upset when people yell about free speech, but then won't let me talk about my faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.