Are we living our dream?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have so much going on right now, I am sorry as it sounds like you are carrying a lot of weight on your shoulders. Know that you are loved and though many of us can't be there with you physically we got you-even if all we can do is lean an ear and a shoulder (virtually).

If there is anything I can do please let me know, really please let me know. Love and prayers

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where are you staying? Any chance of putting up poles on the corners of your floor/house and going up with a roof?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to eventually have a roof over my floor but no sheet metal...only fiberglass skylights for a big greenhouse. I suppose later I can start deciding how to close in downstairs. I am not homeless. DH’s parents house is my current home but he has a trailer we can work on and we have a camper in my orchard and an RV in my driveway. But a lot of people are still living in tents.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pre-op today for DH. BIL in hospital following a cardiac procedure and had fever last night. Said extra prayers last night. A few quick feeding chores and off to the city to see the surgeon. Have a blessed day.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like rain. I just put a little clothes to wash. Might take a while to dry. Still limited on clothes but my cousin gave me her sewing machine. Hopefully no company for several hours. But I have been told by the manager of our community center that the Angel Tree program has been cancelled this Christmas and she was upset because she said many children won’t have any presents without it. She told me she received many child quilts from away and asked me if I could crochet a bunch of beanies from newborn to middle school and even men’s size so I asked my family to help me get as many as possible and asked my daughter to make stuffed animals. I can work on this today a bit. My niece showed me a fast pattern. I will just finish the very complicated one my cousin showed me.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My youngest child and niece came home a few days before Thanksgiving and today went up the bayou. I did inform them that they live with me. I told them their SD has doctor appointments the next two days and then I am going get them. Hugs and they left. But it’s been really productive lately. I haven’t been killing myself working but I have been going to my house and cleaning up for the past few days. I wanted to reach the house soon and I started to stack up sticks and branches in front of one of the damaged trees so I can safely walk around. I then noticed my garbage bin was partially under part of my roof and I managed to reach it and I was able to get it free and the wheels mostly still work so I just parked it where I was trying to clean up while DH was feeding the poultry and rabbits. It always takes him a while and by the time he came to me I almost had a full bin of trash and I had a 3 or 4 foot stack of branches and you could see the ground. He seemed pleased and he took this huge ladder he had made and propped it against the front porch to ascend instead of the stairs, because he knows how I am waiting for them to collapse. So like we found a good 20 square feet of yard in a half an hour. Next day we did something similar in the woods at the camper which really looks tempting. In maybe 40 minutes we cleared out about the same amount of space and started a composting area then went to the house and I started clearing my driveway of branches. Today I went back and started another pile of branches near another cypress tree and my daughter and niece started picking up trash in the bin. The garbage passes twice a week and I wanna have the bin filled both times every week. I am not going to be hauling trees and branches to the roadside for pickup. I think that’s ridiculous. DH got some numbers off my wood chipper and I wanna make the most use of the mess by making lots of mulch. We did a good bit more work today because I had the girls with me. I will have to remember to tell them that. But I wanna go over everyday and work, even if it’s just a little while. I keep thinking that other people will fail me but I just gotta make sure I don’t fail myself. Recently planted several fruit trees in the orchard and it’s been raining a bit so hopefully some survive. I am a little stressed about exactly how I will frame up the greenhouse once I find the floor. My SIL suggested I treat the floor of my house with Thompson Water Sealant. I hadn’t thought that would be an option but maybe it would work. So I am in a toss up on having rafters and fiberglass panels over everything or making it a great big hoop house. The latter would probably be more affordable and faster 🤷‍♀️.