Are we living our dreams?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had first option at the lot next door, but I let the neighbor buy it because they didn't have a yard at all and I figured I did and the man makes a good living and can afford it and they are good friends....etc... Well it is finally theirs and now I regret I was that nice. They are cutting down a bunch of trees that I planted in 95 and the sun is beating down on the grass and its hot and I find I don't like the look and I just would rather if I had a note to pay the bank. I do like the people, but I find I am regretting not jumping on the property when I had my chance. DH had been starting a bunch of cypress seedlings we had found all over our yard in pots and he plans on planting them all along the property line now.
visualiton is good, so I suppose I can see who is coming and less place for a stranger to lurk....but thats about the only good thing I can say right now. Seriously...I like these people, but right now it is making me sick, to just look in that direction. Its a good thing for them there aren't such things as time machines.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We got lucky w/the property next to us. It's been sold several times since we've moved in. People have wanted to put in a housing development, but they'd have to do too much in order to do it, so they'd make no money. So, they buy it, hold it for a few years, then sell it. Last guy that bought it just wants to leave it as woods and has given me permission to go in and take out dead trees.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I might as well think of something else. They have just got back from Disney....trip was cut short because of the man's sister dying unexpectedly. She had her funeral service today and he isn't doing very well right now. Very sorry about that. They good people. I just wish they didn't hate trees so much. And the man is an awesome hunter, fisher...whatever. He is the ultimate Cajun man. Its like,"Let me take this meat that I just killed and grill it out here on this fire I'm making" kinda guy. We keep them up in eggs and he keeps us with occasional deer sausage, crabs, tuna...whatever. I like them....I just don't know if I acted in my best interest, when I let that lot go to them, instead of my family. But looking on the bright side....they did overpay for it (thats bright for me, not them), so I'm glad I didn't have to pay that price for the lot. Personally, I would have held out forever, until they came down to earth.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Omg....well my kids have been asking me for an ipad...whatever that is and I find out it costed $500, so I tell them they can't have it because it will waste all my money on a single toy that will not make them into better people, etc....and then try to put it into prospective for them, by telling them how much money each of them have in their investments and if I spend every penny of their money buying all the ipads I possibly can, how much all of their money combined will buy them in ipads and told them how many ipads they would own....and then asked them what could those ipads actually do for them. So I thought I made my point.....no wasting of money on ipads...not because I can't, but because I'm really not that silly.
Okay....today I"m sitting down homeschooling my 2 little ones....10 and 6 years old. Along come the neighbor's children 5 and 10 years old, with a cell phone. The older complained that her little sister (the 5 year old) had a phone and she didn't, so when they got the grandmother a new phone, she got grandma's old one. So here I have a 5 and 10 year old neighbor coming in front of my 6 and 10 year old and both these children have cell phones, on top of an ipad. Ridiculous!!! Somebody tell me something....
These kids aren't even old enough to be allowed to be left unsupervised. They should always be in the presence of someone who has a phone. These kids will never value anything....

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday was sad, cuz I helped one of my does deliver a dead kid. I tried to save it, and worked on it for about 20 minutes. Never thought I'd do that to anything but a human. Now worried about my doe. Coffee then chores and a 'nurse' visit to her. I guess I can try to milk her, if she is Okay. DH seems to have only 2 emotions.....happy and mad. Apparently he didn't like finding out the baby was dead and went into a rant about.......'Thats it!!! No more breeding goats!!" and stormed off, thru the coop, and unfortunately was jumped by the rooster. Well, I still have the rooster, but I will have to bend one of my feeders back in place. Apparently my kids thought it was funny to see their Poppa running around mad after a rooster. I can get mad too, but I was just sad.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just took my first couple of sips raw goat's milk. Pretty good. But I've taken to catching her the same way as the birds.....with a strong net.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so sad when you lose a baby like that. But your doe will probably become less skittish as you continue to milk her.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a milk vaccuum off of amazon and have been using it a few days. Gets her emptied pretty quick. She still gives us a little trouble to catch her but a little less drama. Determined to have a productive week. Either make a stanchion, rob some bees or slaughter a bunch of extra animals. Having a little trouble sleeping because of coming off of night shift.