Are we living our dreams?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eggs to hatch are good, but when you have a hen and roo with no tail, then the feathers are growing at a strange angle and covering the genitals, in such a way that contact might not occur, so you end up with maybe 5 chicks out of each dozen, which is good, as far as I can see. Honestly, I've mulled it over so many times, but the numbers are stacked up against my araucanas. At least when I put in a dozen eggs from my sex-link project, I have about 2 that won't hatch, plus I'll be able to sight sex them from day one. I"m not cut out for fancy breeds, I guess. I'm not really impressing anyone anyway.
Well, I have 25 duck eggs in the incubator right now and I have about another 8 plus 7 guinea eggs to put in. I think my ducks are all finished laying for this season. I haven't found any eggs for 3 days. But the guineas are just getting started. I"m down to only 2 guinea hens and I have them with a single male. I'm killing my other 2 males. I guess I'm in a killing mood. Every once n a while, I start counting everything that are freeloaders and pop em off. Lets see....I have 10 things I can kill from the araucanas, 1 peking, 2 rabbits and 2 guineas. Personally, I think that will save me money and feed my family 15 times.
Maybe I can put this on my to-do list for my next off time.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Official off time didn't start so well. Spent the first several hours in the ER with Daddy. He has fallen numerous times in the past 3 days. He was taken off a BP med, so hopefully it stops.
I had wanted to go in to work tonight, as a nurse, but I called the DON to ask if I'm now in the computer system and to advise that I do want another night of training and how I want to handle the training, but not tonight and explained how my day was going thus far. Its nice to have a boss who has your back.
Well I dealt with my animals very late today, picked up about a quart of blackberries, which are almost finished. Stinkbugs took a fancy to them. I am now floating my duck eggs that are almost half incubated and I see a few signs of life. Had to toss 3 that were obviously bad and I'm about to go pick up something for me and DH to eat on his bridge. I can consider it a date night. We don't get a chance to talk privately very much.
Well....until next time.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Car trouble last night when I tried to put my car in reverse, at my nursing job, to park. When I accelerated, instead of backing up, I went forward, so all I had was forward. Even park was Drive. I stopped my car in such a place that I didn't need to reverse and in the morning, I couldn't start....cuz I'm not in Park...Well, DH and DD24, came to see about me in the city. Took me about 3 extra hours to come home and I'm not long up now. Getting faster with my med pass, but I really don't care for computer nursing. Only good things I can say so far, is that I used to have to write orders in 5 different places and now it just goes in the computer and is at all correct places, by magic, I no longer have to worry about the pages ripping halfway thru the month, I no longer have to worry about changing out the month. But I still don't like that little machine. Everything I do is timed and logged in. Nurses so stressed that they can forget something major important. New nurses know all these computer tricks and the old nurses just get by, but have more skills. And did I say my feet hurt? Well, yes....they do. I can't wait to turn in my bridge resignation, cuz I really want my home-life to start, in a big way. Getting paid Friday, so I should be able to judge what my normal checks will look like.
So sleepy yesterday that I told DD17 to feed animals and she did some of the projects and DH did the others, but I have no idea what all they did because as soon as I woke up and yelled on the kids outside and returned in for coffee, DH came in to report that the animals had seen and heard me and are screaming for me. Sure enough, they all acted like they were dying of neglect. I talked to them, asking what on earth had happened......like they were gonna tell me. I don't see why they can't figure out what my animals need. It don't take a rocket scientist. Well, my little farm really needs me, so gotta do whats coming up fast for me.
Only thing that kinda upsets me is that there are nurses why sometimes liked going in on Fri and Sat nights to make a little extra money and I have apparently taken away their hours, but at the same time, I have taken stress away from other nurses who really don't want nights and are already full=time and have issues with being forced into an extra shift. I was worried that my does would deliver and I wouldn't even be home to milk them until after 12 noon, on my bridge job. Well, if I come home at about 7:30 am, I think that will be a lot better. I can feed my animals, milk the does and grab a nap, before tending them in the afternoons. Anyway, my fortune cookie said that "You are making a change for the better."

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To whom it may concern........I did it!! I turned in my resignation. I am also not returning to my bridge job. I'm going to get my things off the bridge tomorrow. My only work, now is Fri and Sat night nursing, except the work I will do for myself.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday my 6 year old asked me,"Momma, why are you staying with us now?" I thought that was so cute. I said,"Because I like ya'll." Well, timing was perfect because I sure have my work cut out for me at home. Daddy needs me bad. His heart is broken and I've had to take away his keys, again. He can't see anything, sometimes, except past the keys he can't have. He got DS to drop him off at the cemetary, last night (yeah), so he could visit Momma, while DS went buy him a burrito at Taco Belle. Its terrible to hear or see your father crying and know you have been partially responsible for the tears and you are unable to take away the pain. He tells me of great things he has accomplished, some of which I never knew of....and somehow thinks that should give him the right to have his keys. If my home town was the same as when I was little, I probably could, but too much traffic now.
Well, I had an eventful shift, which a nurse usually doesn't care for. I didn't finish passing my meds until 6:38, but the oncoming nurses didn't complain. They claimed that the previous nurse would take until 7:30, without events. I have no idea what that was about. Anyway, I had 2 incident reports to fill out (computer style) and lost one of my patients, unexpectedly. And you might think I'm creepy, but about an hour before, I heard noises at a completely different part of my ward, so I went see and one of my more confused patients were cutting up and scared and looking everywhere and asked me if the coronor was there yet. Okay, I don't know what to think about that. Hoping for a quiet night tonight, because I have some ideas I want to put into practice. I have a few patients that are getting daily accuchecks that always have perfect bloodsugar levels and I want them decreased to weekly accuchecks. I don't mind work, but less unnecessary work would mean more time to do a better job with what I have to do. I have to change all the O2 tubings tonight and I think I wanna make myself a cheat sheet to refer to, because I had to do a room check on 60 patients, in the dark to determine what everyone needed. You can miss things in the dark.
Well, I got my first paycheck last night. It was locked in the narcotic box for me. And you know what......it was just as big as my full-time bridge tending check. YeeHaa!!! Its hard to believe. I worked last night and I'm working tonight and then, thats it until Friday again. I still have animals to slaughter, but now that I'm not in that transition....still at one job, while training for the other (which you know was more time consuming than just the one), I feel I'll get it done.....well, that and more. I've taken up doing my flylady chores again, which seems to put a more relaxing mood on the whole house.
All I need now is for someone to invent a nursing uniform that defies gravity. If only I could hover 2 inches above the floor....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When you figure out how to make one, LMK. I'd buy it-even though I'm not a nurse just so I could get everything done w/out being on my feet all day! :lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe an inflateable uniform, that can be filled with helium, to decrease a nurses weight somewhat. Only problem is I'd look like a freaking blimp. Come to think about it....why not mess with the gravity in an entire nursing home.....less falls and less painful feet.

KnightMare

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The good news is that you will have more time with your animals and still have enough money to pay the taxes. I'm on one of those two week circuits. I left home Tuesday night, worked Wed in the clinic, Thurs in clinic and on call then Fri in clinic. Left there, drove 80 miles to the next place to be there by 8 PM. Still on call there. Leave here Monday AM and go to next job for two 12 hour shifts, then back to the first place for clinic Thurs and Fri. I will get home Friday night for the first time in two weeks. Sheeesh...what a life.

Getting out of the bridge job sounds like the right thing for you. I read your account of the nursing job and it sounds like you are working a NH. Once you get organized, and have been doing it a while, the scheduled "chores" will come to you just fine.

Sorry about the loss. We all have to fact that in this business periodically.

Glad you family is being supportive. That helps.
Best
D

Latest posts